Sunday, 16 March 2014

Uh Oh. Where'd My Motivation Go?


It crept up on me pretty slowly. It started off with my blog. At first, I chalked it up to getting a bit burnt out from the New Year Project in January. Blogging for an entire month was a little more full on that I'd expected. After that, the rest of February just got busier for me, socially and at work. I thought it'll be okay, I'll kick off again in March.

In the first week of March though, I seemed to keep finding other more important things to do. Blogging kept going further down my to-do list. Then at the end of last week, I realised with horror that I didn't even have a to-do list anymore. I couldn't even be bothered to go exercise every week day, something I'd been enjoying for the past 3 months.

Without me realising it, I was slowly turning back into my old, complacent self - the one that I'd vowed to kick off the couch and get running. I wonder why so many of us start off gung-ho about our goals at the start of the year, and then start to lose steam after a week weeks? So much for the belief that it takes 21 days to create a habit.

So, here are some of the things I'm going to do to hunt down that motivation that I lost:

1. Re-evaluate my goals. Maybe I wasn't specific enough. Maybe they weren't realistic?

2. Find out where I went wrong. What was going through my mind when I started stopping? Did I feel overwhelmed? Why? What can I do the next time this happens again?

3. Remember why I started in the first place. Why did I want to change? What will I get out of it? What will happen if I go back to my old ways?


4. Shift my focus. Maybe I should be focusing more on the day-to-day goals that will get me towards my main goal. Maybe keeping my eyes on the main goal is making me feel like I'm not making any progress?


5. Ask for help. Maybe I need more support than I thought? Who can I turn to for help? Who are the people in my life that would like to see me succeed?

6. Prioritise. Maybe I'm trying to do too many things at once?

7. Keep trying, dammit!

take care,



Follow me on: Bloglovin' | Twitter | Facebook | Google + | Pinterest | Instagram

15 comments:

  1. This is how I feel. At one point I was doing everything right and then I got sick with bronchitis and I went back to my old self. Luckily we know what we are capable of and we can do it! We can get back on track. Even if its slowly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Brittany! Sorry I haven't been around to yours for a while. But now you know why. Not a good enough excuse though. :(

    But hooray for us being able to get back on track! And I can't believe you got a new tatt. Can't wait to see it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this happens to a lot of bloggers. I've seen many of the ones I follow go on a "blogging vacation" the last few months. I blog for fun as a hobby so I have a lot less expectations, however I aim to maintain consistency because if I have no readers why write (right?). You should read this book: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B56PP26/ref=oh_d__o03_details_o03__i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1. It has helped me a lot to set up a reasonable schedule for my blog in an effective way. It's only $.99 cents too! If you try it out let me know what you think. I really enjoyed it and found it helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I definitely have periods like this myself. Either life gets in the way or I get in my own way by being lazy and honestly, not thinking highly enough of myself. I seem to get in ruts where I think "I can't do this" or "I'm not good enough" or "Look, her blog is so much more successful than mine is" and this is such a bad habit! We need to stay positive and I think when we're positive, we tend to do more and really love it. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. i think it happens a lot. i guess what helps is always trying to start off on a clean slate and not try to think of it as a failure from the ny resolutions list. if i'm honest with myself.. i'm pretty burnt out right now from everything i am doing. probably need to reevaluate a few things. i think what's always good is to have an accountability partner too. maybe we can be each others!! if u want. it is really hard to do it on your own.

    Also you should read this. habit in 21 days is a myth: http://blogs.ucl.ac.uk/hbrc/2012/06/29/busting-the-21-days-habit-formation-myth/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, You recognized your slipping back. Step one, check.
    And I think your goals to get back to where you were are great!


    Good luck and hang in there! We all feel like that sometimes and it's okay. It happens, you're only human :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I know how you feel. I had to set up a very similiar list as you did a month ago to re-evaluate some of my goals to finally get myself motivated after the new year slump. So far it's been successful and I hope I keep going. It is hard to get back up on the horse again though. It definitely wasn't easy. My goals were with exercising though because I have starting gaining too much weight over the holidays and it was pretty incredible how much weight I gained and I needed to light some fire under the butt.

    I hope you get your goals going!! It will be such a wonderful feeling after some are accomplished!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the recommendation Tiffany! Lucky me, the book was free today. :) I'll let you know what I think soon after I finish reading it. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Shar, I'm glad that you're successful so far in getting yourself all fired up again with your goals. I'm kind of excited for tomorrow when my schedule has all died down again and I can put my running shoes on! Well, not that I can run yet... more like a brisk walk and some jogging. :P

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks LuAnn! And with people like you to support me, I know I can do it! :) I quite like the idea of the visual reminder. I don't think I wrote my words "Go. Do." big enough. Maybe I should turn them into a poster. Or have it tattooed on my forehead so I can see it every day. :P

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love when I can catch stuff like that for free - not like .99 is a lot of money LOL

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think what's great about this is that you were able to identify what was happening. These months post-PhD I've been trying to take it easy, I have general monthly goals and a to-do list but it's something I revisit often and that's been helping me keep on track. More and more though I've been asking myself what is necessary and what is important, I blogged about it here http://vanishaslife.blogspot.co.nz/2014/03/11-52.html I'm sure you're going to do just fine, wishing you all the best xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  13. At least you recognized what was happening and started thinking of how to correct it. I have also been skipping out on blogging a lot. Hopefully now that the school I work at is on summer vacation I'll be able to blog more. I made a post today and have one scheduled tomorrow which is already more than I've done in the last couple months. I also have slipped on exercising. Although part of it is that I had bronchitis for a month that still hasn't totally gone away, the other part is honestly laziness. I've been cleaning and my house most of the day the last few days, so I think I'm going to give myself through the weekend but then I need to get moving again. I just got a few more disks to one of my favorite programs, Les Mills Combat, so I'm looking forward to doing that.

    ReplyDelete