Monday, 3 March 2014

Another Bite of Northland: Cape Reinga and Te Paki Sand Dunes

Hi everyone!

The first day of autumn officially kicked in on Saturday, and it feels like someone's flicked on the switch to bring in winter. I actually had to drag out my winter duvet from storage on Sunday. Boo! But at least I managed to say goodbye to summer with a bang. I'm still on a happy high from going away with friends nearly two weeks ago.

On our last day, we went over to Cape Reinga. One of the main attractions of the northernmost part of New Zealand, it is also a sacred place to the indigenous Maori people. They believe that it is the leaping point of souls as they depart the land. It's a pretty breath taking view. Definitely worth the 5 hour drive if you're coming from Auckland.

The view on the left side as you walk towards the end of the cape.
The lighthouse.

See the white waves in the middle of the picture? That's where the Tasman Sea and the Pacific Ocean collide. If by chance you come to the cape on a particularly windy day, you can see the waves smashing against each other like crazy.




I haven't had a chance to fix it, but here's a panoramic shot of the lot.


After our eyes have feasted on the beauty of the cape, it was time for a different sort of feast. Lunch! So we decided to head over to the Te Paki Sand Dunes for some food and sand boarding.



See that tiny dot near the foot of the high dune? That's one of my friends.

So... I suggest you guys pack your bags and get on the next plane to Aotearoa. ;)

take care,



Follow me on: Bloglovin' | Twitter | Facebook | Google + | Pinterest | Instagram

13 comments:

  1. These photos are incredible!! So pretty and just moved New Zealand to the top of my list of places to go :)



    - Meg from www.whynotandnotwhy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow! absolutely gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These photos are incredible! I would love to go to Aotearoa one day! By the way, found a small typo in your blog (plain should be plane in the last sentence). (:

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Meg! New Zealand is definitely a must see. I've only travelled around the North Island, and I've heard the South is so much prettier! I can't even begin to imagine it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much Dana, that is so kind of you! :) And yes, I always find the seasons and time differences between NZ and the US/UK funny. Great for clothes shopping online though, when it's summer here you're in winter, so summer clothes there are on sale. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha oops! Thanks for pointing it out hun, I've changed it to the correct spelling. By the way, I really love the idea of your coffee lovers in Seattle series. Can't wait to see the rest!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, the beauty of real-time blogging hahaha.

    And thanks! I actually have another post for the series up already. I had to have a fast turnaround for my class so I wrote one up for Thursday. Can't wait to read what you think (:

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks like a cool place to visit. Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete