Friday, 31 January 2014

The New Year Project: What I've Learned and What I'm Looking Forward To


I know I've said it before, but again, thank you so much to everyone who's participated in The New Year Project. It was truly such an honour to read your thoughts on the questions throughout the month, and I'm so glad I got to meet new people through the project. Your entries were inspiring and thought-provoking. So again, thank you, thank you, thank you. And I still owe quite a few of you some replies and visits! It's on my priority list for the weekend.

I hope you found the project as useful as I have. Here are some of the things that I picked up this past month:

1. I need to be kinder to myself. Acknowledging my strengths and abilities is not a form of conceit, but an awareness of who I am. Knowing what I'm good at and using these capabilities could help towards achieving my goals.

2. Making time for the things that make me happy is not an act of selfishness, because the happier I am, the more inclined I am to give back and spread happiness to others.

3. I learned that when I don't pursue my dreams because of fear, I am letting myself down. Fear seems to be a pretty silly reason to not to go after what I want. But I also learned that it's never too late to try and chase those dreams.

4. To cope with change, I need to have complete faith in myself. To embrace change, I need to decide on the kind of person that I want to be, and do what it takes to be that person.

5. Our actions can have such a big impact on others, no matter how little the act could have been. So we may as well be nice to everyone.

6. If I would not tolerate other people pointing out and ridiculing my flaws, then I definitely should not accept that kind of behaviour from myself.

7. I am the one responsible and in control of my moods and reactions. It's pointless to blame others if I am unhappy, especially if I choose not to do anything about it.

As for the rest of the year, I'm looking forward to seeing my progress as I work towards my goals.

What have you learned this month? What are you looking forward to for the rest of the year?

Also, if you don't mind, I would love to hear your thoughts on the project itself. I found some of the questions were a little repetitive towards the end, did you? Did you find that some topics/questions could have been replaced by something more appropriate? If so, which ones? Have you got a suggestion for a topic for next year? Full credits will be given to you if it gets included.



take care,



Follow me on: Bloglovin' | Twitter | Facebook | Google + | Pinterest | Instagram

10 comments:

  1. Toni, I have SO much love and gratitude towards you and this amazing challenge. You made me realize that my life is pretty friggen wonderful and I am in complete control of my own happiness in every way. Thank you so much for being such a great person and friend :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a good challenge. I definitely need to learn how to take a compliment better and also to be able to say.. yes, I am this. Maybe it's just asian culture.. but it's really difficult to toot your own horn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have had a lot of fun and actually gotten quite a bit done this month, in part thanks to this challenge. Thanks so much, Toni! Sorry I had been scarce the past couple of days. I had to take care of some school work, but I got the rest of my challenge posts up today!


    Are we still accountability partners? :O)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a lot of self growth going on over such a short time! Sounds like you learned a lot and I hope you keep all this new growth with you over the whole year! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Tiffany! Fingers crossed I can :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad to hear that LuAnn, and yes of course we're still accountability partners! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is such an Asian thing to do isn't it? I had a Kiwi friend who actually got annoyed with me once for not being able to take a compliment, and told me it was rude to deny it if someone told me something nice. I never thought of it like that before until she pointed it out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aww thanks so much Sam! I'm glad to hear that the challenge worked for you. Thank you so much for participating. You're such a sweetheart and a super supportive friend. *hug*

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am sorry I didnt make it till the end with this i really wanted to but some of the questions were a bit hard for me , but thats fine ! I did participate what i could :)
    Cant wait till your next link up , maybe we can do one together !

    ReplyDelete
  10. Number 3 sticks with me. I let fear stand in my way of taking chances with my blog (http://startlifeallin.wordpress.com). Just starting out with it though, so who knows where I'll end up. Great list of goals for the new year, though.

    ReplyDelete