Friday, 3 January 2014

The New Year Project: Tooting My Own Horn


I must say, as soon as I wrote the title, my paranoia kicked in and I looked it up on Google to see if it has a new meaning now or not. Also, excuse this segue, but I seem to have been hiding under a rock. "Google" has been an official verb since 2006!? Sorry, I still refuse to use it.

Okay, now that all my crazy is out of the way, I have a question for you. Why is it so hard to come up with things that we're good at, or things that are good about us, yet it's so easy to criticise ourselves, pick out the things we dislike and basically tear into our self-esteem? This isn't just from my own experience when asked about my strengths and weaknesses. It's also from my observations over the years when I used to interview potential employees. If someone knows the answer, I would genuinely like to know.

If I really think about it, it does seem rather silly that I become hesitant when telling others of my strengths/abilities/achievements. Shouldn't I be proud of the things I excel in and what I can do or what I've already accomplished? I think there's a difference between a quiet kind of pride and being a total egotist, and people are able to perceive those things. And if they think I'm being a complete narcissist, it means they don't know me that well, which in turn means what they think doesn't matter.

Can I get an amen?

With that, I'm finally going to answer today's question. My strengths and the things I'm good at: prioritising, time management. I've got an eye for detail. When I do a job, I do it well.

What things are you good at? How can you use these strengths towards achieving your goals this year?



take care,



Follow me on: Bloglovin' | Twitter | Facebook | Google + | Pinterest | Instagram


6 comments:

  1. Hmmm yeah, I too wonder why we seem to notice more of the bad or negative side of things rather than the positive? Maybe were just naturally like that? Let me ponder more on this though. hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think women are more inclined to downplay their strengths because "ladies don't have those skills". Oh, POO! There is nothing wrong with knowing one's strengths and using those strengths for one's own good or for the good of others. I'm good at brainstorming and endurance. Could always use a little help at prioritizng, though. :O)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Omg, yesyesyes! I talked about this in my post too! It's so sad how easy it is to shoot ourselves down. That's definitely something I need to work on!

    ReplyDelete
  4. And I shall be your 'negative thought' officer on your blog. lol :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. The trick I use with prioritising is... "Right, what's the thing I hate to do the most? What's the most difficult? What can't wait?" Then that means it goes to the top of the to-do list. :P It is funny though... I can prioritise really well at work, but find it hard to actually stick to the to-do list I write for personal stuff. Oops. >_< So Miss Brainstormer Extraordinaire, any ideas on how I can stick with my to-do list? :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Time's up! Your answer? Hehehe :D jk

    ReplyDelete