Friday, 24 January 2014

The New Year Project: Taking Charge of My Own Happiness


I used to blame someone or something for everything that caused me unhappiness - the company I worked for was so disorganised so I was unhappy with my job; my ex couldn't decide if he wanted to get back together or not so my 'relationship' sucked; the flatmate was so annoying so I hated where I lived; I'm overweight so I hated how I looked, and more whinging and moaning.

I read this from my happiness journal a few months ago: "You are the only person truly in control of your life, and that control is there for you to take... Your happiness should depend on nobody but yourself." It sounds pretty common sense, but, if I really think about it, how much did I actually do to make sure that I took control of my life and my happiness? Did I doing anything aside from complain? Was everything really out of my control that I couldn't change the situations that made me sad/angry? Was it really somebody else's fault that I was unhappy?

And when I look back at the past few years of my life, I realised that it really is up to me and me alone to make myself happy. When I recall the times that I started becoming happier, it was because I took control and did something about what was making me unhappy. I changed jobs, I told the ex to eff off, and I moved out.

How do you take charge of your own happiness?



take care,



Follow me on: Bloglovin' | Twitter | Facebook | Google + | Pinterest | Instagram

10 comments:

  1. Don't put off your happy ... I LOVE IT! I spent a lot of years putting off my happy. Being happy is a LOT more fun than not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YOU GO, GIRLFRIEND! I just told some loser that was playing with my heart to eff off today and it felt SO good :) Making your own happiness is a wonderful thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always think of the serenity prayer. You can't control other people and their happiness but you can control your own. I know its hard and I am still working on it myself. Just take it one day at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the reminder. With graduation this week I have let myself spiral into a crazy hot mess of stress. Need to turn that mess off and decide my own attitude about this exciting time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hooray for graduation this week! Congratulations Tiffany :D I hope you enjoy every single minute of it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Brittany :) We can do this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wait, what??? Ok hang on I'm going to email you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hooray for putting your HAPPY first :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Toni! Just found out today due to the "snowstorm" in the bottommost area of Alabama (snow storm my butt) - class is canceled tomorrow so now I won't graduate until next week! But I'm going to decide my own attitude about this :)

    ReplyDelete