Thursday, 2 January 2014

The New Year Project: Overcoming Obstacles


Hello! I hope you've fully recovered from celebrating the new year. I'm proud to say I don't feel as ill anymore from eating far too much, and even managed to get some exercise in this morning too. Now I just need to do it for another 363 days! Haha...

Anyway, this morning I opened up my Sentence A Day journal, and the question today was "What kind of person do you want to be?"

Wait, what? It's too early for this sort of thing. Where's my coffee? Heeeelllpp!

Kidding aside, the question surprised me. I couldn't wrap my head around how a simple question could leave me so stumped. I had to be completely honest with myself while I was thinking about what kind of person I am now.

The one thing that stood out the most for me was that I'm a procrastinator, and I know it's definitely something I no longer want to be.

That's my main obstacle for my goals this year. I tend to put things off, and I can get really lazy. I don't want to be constantly starting things and leaving them half finished. So, how do I get over this?

I have no idea. No, actually, I have several. It's just getting them to actually stick. One of them was something I liked LuAnn's post from yesterday, about choosing a word to guide you throughout the year. I wrote two words on my board in huge letters, so I get to see them every day: GO. DO.

Another one intrigues me, and makes a whole lot of sense. Eat That Frog by Brian Tracy sounds like it was written for me, not only for the discipline part, but also because I actually have a phobia of frogs. A picture alone can cause me to hyperventilate.

I think the most effective one might be accountability though. The more people I tell about my goals, the more support, help and encouragement I can get to get things done.

Either that or I should just put on my big girl pants and get on with things. ;)

How do you overcome obstacles? Any tips?




Shared on:
brokeGIRLrich

take care,



Follow me on: Bloglovin' | Twitter | Facebook | Google + | Pinterest | Instagram


8 comments:

  1. Eeek! I'm honored that you linked to my post from yesterday, Toni. U ROCK WOMAN!

    I added "Eat that Frog" to my Goodreads TBR shelf. I also headed to BrianTracy.com poked around there for a little bit. They have some kind of goal-setting report freebie when you sign up for their newsletter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha you funny girl :) It WAS a good post you know! And thanks for letting me know about the freebie! I'll look at it now :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, good luck with quitting procrastinating. It totally gets me regularly too. I feel like I'm either super ahead and prepared or totally last minute, no middle ground. Thanks for linking up at #finsavsat!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have gotten better about this. I used to be horrible. And to some extent I still struggle. But breaking big goals up into more manageable small ones with mini deadlines has really helped. That and eliminating stuff I don't care about. Sometimes I think we all put too much on our plates and we feel guilty for not finishing things that just really don't matter. I love your words: Go an Do! I think you're set up to have a great year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have overcome quite a few obstacles and wrote a guest post about them here http://www.cfinancialfreedom.com/how-to-overcome-obstacles/


    For myself, with accountability, I stepped it up a notch and if I don't do what I say I will, I have to pay my sister $10. I send her a list each week of what I need to do to keep on track with achieving my goals. The next week I update what I did, pay her for any missed and have a new list for the following week. In 5 weeks she has only made $10 but I have become VERY productive.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's amazing Kylie! And a really good idea too. Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes! I completely agree with you on breaking large goals into smaller ones with deadlines. I found it a little too overwhelming when I wrote my goal to downsize my wardrobe in half, because it's such a HUGE undertaking. So I thought, do it section by section, spend a minimum of 1 hour and a maximum of 2 hours per day, and just keep chipping away until you're done. Well, so far so good, now I just have to keep it up until I actually finish. :P But it's better when you see actual progress, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  8. And thank YOU Mel for suggesting I link up to #finsavsat :) fingers crossed for us this year!

    ReplyDelete