Monday, 6 January 2014

The New Year Project: Do More of What Makes You Happy


Wow, nearly one week into the new year already! Time does fly when you're having fun I guess. I hope you guys had a wonderful weekend. Please excuse me if I don't reply to any of your comments until Thursday as I'll be away. Got to love being able to schedule posts!

On with today's topic!

I've mentioned before how I used to be really unhappy at my last job. It took so much out of me, that all I wanted to do was sleep all the time. Literally. I would spend an entire weekend in bed, every time I could get away with it. I'd get home from work, tired and miserable, and go straight to my bed for a nap. I do love to nap and lie in in general, and I thought it was only me 'rewarding' myself for what I had to endure for the day.

I didn't even realise that I was no longer doing the things I enjoyed. I preferred to sleep, and luxuriate in blissful unconsciousness. I was so tired, busy and frustrated that I didn't have time for balance. I spent most of my time ranting and worrying about work. I forgot what it was like to have fun.

Silly me. I'm so glad that's over. I've been spending the past year learning to be more like my old self again. I've been writing more and reading more. Recently I've been exercising again, and doing crafty things. I don't think spending so much time on myself is selfish. I noticed that the more happy I am, the more I want to give back, and spread that good feeling to others.

What are the things that you enjoy doing? When was the last time you made time for these activities in your life?



take care,



Follow me on: Bloglovin' | Twitter | Facebook | Google + | Pinterest | Instagram


9 comments:

  1. Hi! I just stumbled upon your blog and it is just so cute! I love it and I totally want to jump in on your New Year Project! What a great list of blogging topics!
    Melissa @ A Pearl and Her Pilot {melandbrent.blogspot.com}

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melissa, thank you so much for your kind words! It's so sweet of you. And hooray for you joining the New Year Project! The more the merrier :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad to hear you are away from that job. Granted, I don't know what it was, but I've had a job like that.. Looking forward to being here for your re-emergence in this new year! ROCK ON!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so easy to come home and pass out. You have to consciously make the time to do things you love. It's hard at first, but I'm always glad I did.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amanda Papenfus Eatherly7 January 2014 at 08:09

    I've done that before. I like reading, writing/blogging, and art. I have been making more time for varying levels of them while I've been on winter break. Unfortunately I just have a few days left so I'm trying to squeeze in what I can because I know when school starts again I won't have as much time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Me too LuAnn, though my wallet is kind of missing the pay rate I was on! But at least I've finally learned that it's not all about the money some times.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So very true! I completely agree, sometimes all you want to do is veg out in front of the couch, but it does wonders for your mood when you get up and do something that you love.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aww boo! How much longer have you got until you finish school?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amanda Papenfus Eatherly7 January 2014 at 21:15

    About another year.

    ReplyDelete