Tuesday, 7 January 2014

New Year Project: What Would You Attempt If You Knew You Could Not Fail?


The first time I came across this question, it hit me hard. It reminded me of all the dreams that I had, dreams that I never pursued because I didn't believe enough in myself.

I let minor setbacks discourage me from pursuing my dreams. I had so much self-doubt, that I took criticism to heart, and considered myself a failure before I even started. When I think about it now, what hurts the most is I let myself down, without even trying to turn those dreams into realities. I let fear get in my way.

It seems so silly now, when I look at the question, and think back on my early 20s. Why did I let myself listen to one professor's comments on the calibre of my writing? Why didn't I actually try to be a journalist or a writer, when it was what I was passionate about? What if I had tried, in spite of the discouraging comments, and succeeded?

I felt sorry for myself for a while, and blamed myself for not pursuing my aspirations. Then I got a wake up call one day, when I came across this quote:

quote above written by George Eliot
So this year, and for the duration of my first 101 in 1001, I'm planning on making my dreams come true. Or at least, this time around, try to make them come true.

What would you attempt if you knew you could not fail? What's holding you back?



take care,



Follow me on: Bloglovin' | Twitter | Facebook | Google + | Pinterest | Instagram


8 comments:

  1. What a great idea! And linking it up is a great way to allow everyone else to show that together we can accomplish our dreams. I have never done the 101 in 1001, but I do have a bucket list. I can't wait to see all your dreams come true, and possibly link up on the way.


    xo. Kailagh

    ReplyDelete
  2. You got this, girl. You're such a rockstar. You can achieve anything if you just believe! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea of this...I don't know that I'm ready to jump in...but I so believe that quote!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Melissa! :) Maybe just copy and paste the questions, then do them when you're ready in a journal? Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Kailagh (what a pretty name!). I'm crossing my fingers for your goals for this year too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a really great way to see things. I felt this was before I went back to school. I had tried several career paths in my life and in my mid 20's still couldn't say that I had a real career. This time last year I went back to college and will be a LMT in just a few weeks! I may be starting my career at 26 but it's better than never starting one at all and so worth sorting through the crappy ones to find what I truly love.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So true Tiffany! And there's also nothing wrong with changing careers in the middle. I had an 8-year stint in retail management and I'm now doing social work. And I think you're right, what matters is finding something you love doing.

    ReplyDelete