Thursday, 9 January 2014

New Year Project: Finding Inner Peace

words from Max Ehrmann's Desiderata
If you had asked me a this time last year how I find my inner peace, I think I would have unsuccessfully suppressed a smirk and retorted with, "Do I look like a hippy to you?" For some reason I just associated the words "inner peace" with incense, tie-dye and all things new age-y. Nothing wrong with it, personally it's just not my cup of tea. Though harem pants are the bomb for when I'm at home and it's ridiculously hot and I'm having a 'fat' day.

The quote I used above is from Max Ehrmann's Desiderata. If you've never come across the poem before, I suggest you read it. Now. I promise you, it's worth the read. I'll wait while you go do that.

For the past 2 months or so, I've been reciting the Desiderata in my mind before I go to bed, and I think about it and how I can practice it in my life. I guess, in a way, this is one form of how I find my inner peace. When I really thought about it, in particular the lines above, I discovered that inner peace for me was more of a sense of mental well-being, a feeling of confidence and belief in myself; and not some unattainable nirvana. It's also in those moments when I manage to stop mentally bashing myself, and instead redirect my thoughts into focusing on my strengths and what's good about me.

Before I go, I'll just introduce you to my lovely sponsor this month, Lindsay over at Wedding Rings To Teething Rings! I asked her how she finds inner peace, even when being a very busy mother to adorable Luke. Isn't he the cutest thing? Here's what she had to say:



How do you find your inner peace? Why do you think it's important to do so once in a while?




take care,



Follow me on: Bloglovin' | Twitter | Facebook | Google + | Pinterest | Instagram


4 comments:

  1. Omg, I'm so in LOVE with that poem. I need to write it down and read it every single day. So beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know right :) I want it as a poster on my wall!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me And My Mini Me9 January 2014 at 14:24

    What a beautiful poem. I think it's so important to find inner peace, especially being a mother. It helps you cope with stress and challenges a lot better

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can imagine! I used to babysit 2 little girls every Friday and by the end of the day all I wanted to do was pass out. Don't know how you mums do it :)

    ReplyDelete