Tuesday, 3 December 2013

Christmas Spectacular: Shopping the Silly Season


I am terrible when it comes to Christmas shopping. Not in the "I'll get him socks" type of present buyer. I'm more of the, "Ooooh this is my Christmas gift for me" type of buyer. In nearly every single store I go to. It's really bad.

Do you have a budget and a rough idea of what present you're getting when you go Christmas shopping? Or are you the type to browse through every single shelf in every single store, trying to find that perfect present? I'll admit, I'll start off as the former and end up as the latter. I always have such good intentions, but as soon as I see something that I think would be a little nice pick me up for myself, my plans go out the window.

As someone that used to be up to their eyeballs in debt, Christmas is a really tricky time for me. I still go out and splurge a little too much, but at least not as bad as before. Here's some tricks on how I still try to stay on track when out shopping:

I have a list of at least 3 gift ideas per person. I also have a rough estimate of how much each item will cost. One is sure to work if the other ideas are more expensive than I thought, or out of stock.

I already put money aside for my gifts to myself. I know I won't be able to resist, so instead of fighting it, I tell myself that I have X amount of money to spend just on me.

I only bring the amount of money I intend to spend. My credit card stays at home. At least, if I feel like I have to have the cupcake maker shaped like a giant cupcake, I can sleep on it.

While we're swapping Christmas tips, here's Susannah over at Simple Moments Stick to share how she keeps calm during the Christmas frenzy!


Have you got any other tips when it comes to Christmas shopping? I'd love to hear them!

Don't forget to link up below, then enter your link in the Rafflecopter form for 10 more entries to win $60 in Paypal cash or a voucher from either Amazon or Modcloth! You can get 5 more entries for tweeting about the Christmas Spectacular too.

Christmas Spectacular


take care,



4 comments:

  1. Amanda Papenfus Eatherly3 December 2013 at 09:58

    Yes I tell myself how much I'm going to spend and try to stick close to it. I usually just stick stuff for myself on a wishlist (since I usually buy online) unless I have money from my allotment (I save $25 per A that I get so I can spend that on myself).


    I have a post for today on places that ship to APO boxes. Unfortunately as soon as I posted it, they suspended my site for "violating the TOS". I actually just bought hosting and my own domain earlier today and am planning to switch to self-hosted anyhow, but I wasn't *quite* ready yet so hopefully they'll unsuspend it so I can at least pull my widget codes and whatnot (which are the one thing the XML file seems not to save) off and do a redirect over to the new site. Way to remind me why I was going self-hosted. I shouldn't have to worry about that crap :-P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amanda Papenfus Eatherly3 December 2013 at 12:28

    Well getting my site loaded on the new host turned out to be a lot easier than it was with a previous blog for a different host. I don't have time tonight to find a theme (of *course* mine isn't available for self-hosted WP lol) but at least it's up :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I usually have a budget and I stick to it. With the crisis that's going on here in Portugal, I can´t afford to go on a shopping spree. And I usually also save some money every month to buy something for myself when Christmas arrive. This year my gift for myself will be books - some titles that have been on my wishlist for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  4. good tips! i'm trying to not buy anything for ourselves this christmas.. so we'll see how it goes. i think everyone does that though.. haha that's what makes christmas season so successful for business owners. people buy gifts for other people and themselves! i think bringing cash when shopping is always a great idea. it's so much more tangible and makes you way more aware of what you are spending. credit cards just make it too easy. :P

    ReplyDelete