Tuesday, 10 December 2013

Christmas Spectacular: The Truth About Santa


When I found out the truth about Santa, I was 7 years old.

I was playing with two of my second cousins. One was my age, the other a few years older. I must have asked them what they're asking Santa for Christmas. I still remember their looks of condescension vividly (odd, since I hold no grudges).

I called my mother, who was busy at work. I recall telling whoever answered the phone that it was important. I don't remember the conversation, but she does. I apparently told her, tearfully, "You lied to me!"

Even then I had a penchant for drama.

How old were you when you found out? Did you already know or have an idea? And if you've got little ones, how are you planning on breaking it to them?

Don't forget to link up below, then enter your link in the Rafflecopter form for 10 more entries to win $60 in Paypal cash or a voucher from either Amazon or Modcloth! You can get 5 more entries for tweeting about the Christmas Spectacular too.

Christmas Spectacular


take care,



9 comments:

  1. My son knew there was no santa from the get go. We didn't bother keeping all the traditions so he never got caught up in the whole santa business.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We never celebrated Christmas when I was a kid, so I never believed in Santa :(


    So going to live vicariously through my future kids, lol :)

    UsOnCloud9

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha my parents definitely did not want me to believe in santa, so i just never did. i can't remember a lot about my childhood, but i wonder if i ruined it for some kids.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amanda Papenfus Eatherly10 December 2013 at 21:50

    I think I was eight but I'm not sure exactly. I know I was bugging my mom about whether the Easter Bunny existed and she finally told me he doesn't and neither does the Tooth Fairy or Santa Claus. I don't plan on having kids so this is among the many issues won't have to worry about, but I kind of like the approach I've seen some people take in which they explain that Santa exists as 'the spirit of giving' and so on and how people keep the idea of Santa alive with doing nice things for others (which could include *not* ruining the idea of Santa for their friends if their idea is that he is one actual person).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha yeah my mother told off her cousin for not telling her children not to ruin it for other kids. >_< For some reason the Easter Bunny isn't a huge thing in the Philippines, and neither is the Tooth Fairy, so I never got those. But we had The Three Kings a few days after Christmas - we leave our shoes by our bed, and then there's "gifts" in them. Normally little chocolates and money. Though now I wonder if that's specific to our family only.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww fair enough Kat. Your kids are going to be so lucky! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Which is probably a good thing! I do remember feeling terribly betrayed and made a fool of. I think I may not have spoken to my mother for days after that. :P

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amanda Papenfus Eatherly19 December 2013 at 11:06

    Aww well it sucks for people to ruin things but at the same time it's not the obligation of people not to share what they believe (which could be that those things don't exist). That's cool. I have heard of a similar thing in Germany where kids leave their shoes out for gifts and it's Christkindl (who if I recall correctly is a girl) that leaves presents in the shoes.

    ReplyDelete