Monday, 2 December 2013

Christmas Spectacular: My Earliest Memory of Christmas

I was 5 years old, and I woke up early on Christmas Day. I still vividly remember how still and quiet everything was. Dawn had barely arrived. The room was dark and felt a little cold, even though I somehow managed to swaddle myself in my blanket some time during the night. I could barely see the outline of my parents as they slept on their bed.

As soon as I realised what day it was, I wriggled my hand out from under my accidental cocoon and immediately reached over my head, groping around my pillow. I let out a little yip of excitement when my hand touched something covered in glossy paper.

This is my earliest memory of Christmas.

Please excuse my cheesiness, I felt like writing my earliest Christmas memory like a story for some reason! 

I don't remember what the present was anymore, but the reason why my mother started placing Christmas (and birthday) gifts somewhere above my head after I'd gone to sleep was so that I'd stop badgering her to wake up so we can go open presents... at 5 in the morning. Yep, even then, patience was never my strong point.

What's your earliest memory of Christmas? I'd love to hear it!

Don't forget to link up below, then enter your link in the Rafflecopter form for your 10 points today. You can get 5 more points for tweeting about it too.

Christmas Spectacular


take care,




8 comments:

  1. Amanda Papenfus Eatherly2 December 2013 at 11:09

    I like that you started it like a story. "Accidental cocoon" is nice. It's cool that she left presents in the room for you. I know we used to wake my parents up too lol. I couldn't remember an 'earliest' memory for the life of me today. Maybe I was trying too hard. Anyhow I ended up just going with some snippets of early memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this story! You've made me start thinking about my first Christmas memory. It's funny that I can't remember what the present was, but I do remember how much my parents dreaded waking up so early.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know what my first memory of Christmas is only because my family is obsessed with home videos so I've watched my first Christmases and I don't know which are real memories and which I just know from the videos.


    I'm still pestering my mum to let us open presents early! But she never gives in, we have to wait until the whole family is there dammit haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, some things never change huh? The past few years, a lot of the mystery has been removed for me for Christmas, since I normally get asked what I want. I think my family & friends are too practical sometimes! Hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And I bet they never fail to remind you about it? My mother tells me every year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh believe me, it took me ages to come up with one memory! The rest were mostly memories from my early teens.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amanda Papenfus Eatherly9 December 2013 at 23:48

    Well at least it's not just me then :)

    ReplyDelete