Monday, 25 November 2013

Thank you.


My heart feels like it's about to burst with gratitude. It's been a little over 2 weeks since the typhoon Haiyan hit my birth country, and the help and support still keeps coming.

In New Zealand alone, countless Kiwis have shown their support.  John Campbell, a prominent current affairs presenter, encouraged so many schools to help raise funds to go to Unicef NZ. They raised NZ $750,000, which includes a generous donation of $200,000 from businessman Gareth Morgan. Unicef NZ recently thanked their supporters for donating a total of $1.3M - the largest amount they have ever received.

That's just one organisation in NZ. There are many more out there. In nearly every shop, there's a donation box for relief aid. Even if it's been a fortnight since the disaster, the aid continues. On November 30, Hope After Haiyan: Typhoon Relief Concert will be held in Wellington, New Zealand's capital, to raise yet more funds for Unicef NZ.

And that's just one country. On Twitter and Facebook, I've seen famous people appealing to their fans and followers to help the Philippines via various organisations. There are also many generous businesses raising funds or pledging to donate their profits. A friend I recently met even established Heart Philippines in the US.

I have only ever seen one inane, negative comment in a social medium, out of the hundred or so that I have seen with my own eyes. It's so heartwarming, seeing so many people sending thoughts and prayers to my fellow Filipinos. It's reminded me that there is still a lot of good in the world, in spite of what we see in the news.

I feel so humble, and so grateful to everyone who has helped. Your generosity and kindness will help the estimated 13 million people that have been affected by Haiyan.

On behalf of my fellow Filipinos, thank you, thank you, thank you.

Maraming salamat sa inyong lahat. Many thanks to you all.

4 comments:

  1. We always see all these terrible things going on in the world but then something like this happens and it just reminds you how kind people can be, how we can all come together to do something great. I hope nobody you know personally was affected by the typhoon <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah.. considering all this, i guess I should have more hope in humanity... it's too bad i'm a pessimist all the way through.. :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww I don't think you'll be a pessimist for too long if you're continuously practicing gratitude :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your kind words Kayla. Thankfully my family and my friends were not badly affected by the typhoon.

    ReplyDelete