Wednesday, 13 November 2013

No Longer A Numbers Game (Why I Blog Now)


It was around 2011 when I first came across Chantelle's Fat Mum Slim. At the time, I was running One Chocolate Box as a book review blog. It was the first time I had come across a lifestyle blog that truly inspired me. I became so engrossed with her content, that on the first visit, I must have spent an hour reading through her posts. I was reading through the comments she had received as well, and I was impressed with the volume and quality of comments she was receiving.

To be frank, I was incredibly jealous. I wanted that kind of connection with my readership, but most of all, I wanted the same amount of commenters and followers. Let's be honest. Who doesn't love adulation?

My mind was still set in that way during mid July this year, when I rebooted One Chocolate Box into a personal/lifestyle blog. During the first few weeks, I was obsessed with increasing my following, trying to figure out ways to do so. I visited and commented on as many blogs as I could, participated in blog hops, did anything I thought would bring in more followers.

But then, I noticed by late September that I was pursuing numbers less. I was no longer obsessively checking every 10 minutes if I had any new followers. I was becoming more absorbed with reading other bloggers' content, especially the ones I found truly inspirational. My posts were changing as well. I was starting to challenge myself to change, to grow. I was focusing more on establishing relationships with the handful of wonderful people who continued to regularly visit my little corner on the internet. I was changing. I was slowly becoming a happier person than I used to be.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I no longer care if people follow me or not. I still get thrilled every time a notification from Twitter comes up on my phone about new followers, or an email from Bloglovin' arrives in my inbox to tell me who's following me now. I will always be happy about that, and I don't think that will ever change.

The only thing that's changed is that I'm no longer consumed with the obsession to be popular. Now, I just blog to continue to become a better person, to keep changing and growing, to meet new people around the world and to carry on seeking out my happiness.

Why do you blog?

take care,



13 comments:

  1. I started blogging initially to push myself to do things more, with the hope that maybe people would be interested and want to follow me on my journey. Slowly my blog morphed into this lifestyle blog and I became more aware of the blogging community, and how to get involved. My blog is my no means a big blog, but I'm definitely not blogging for the numbers. I think that's a good thing, it means I'm not losing sight of the purpose of the blog to begin with for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to be exactly the same when I started out blogging. I would write posts I thought other people would like to read, rather than what was inside of me and would feel envy when visiting blogs which had a better following than mine. Now however, I have decided to write blog post due to a kind of obligation, but when I have something to say.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this. I too, wanted to be a super popular blog but that quickly fizzled out and reality kicked in. Now I'm just doing it for me. I love connecting with others but in the end, I just love writing a little about my thoughts and what's going on in my life! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Toni! Great post (and question)! I started my book blog this past summer and was mainly focusing on mainstream, popular, "big author" books. It has now morphed to a blog promoting small, new, and indie authors. I feel very passionate about helping these authors with reviews and some visibility and I am finding some really great books! I do still enjoy the occasional mainstream book, but think that I am going to stick with my current path. Take care! Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's fantastic Kate, and it sounds like you're making great progress with your list - at least you've done the hard bits! I'm still so impressed that you've moved to Toronto. You go girl :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. And they are super beautiful thoughts :) I always end up smiling or cracking up whenever I go to your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are too sweet. You know how you just feel like you NEED to do something? Even though I may play a very small part, at least I won't look back and say, "I should have helped."

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love fatmumslim's photoaday challenges! :) Yeah, I go in and out of those phases where I'm constantly looking at the numbers. Some months I don't care at all, and some months I am getting obsessive. I wish I could say I've kicked the habit, but I definitely swing to both extremes.


    I've been trying to comment more on people's blogs, because I know that I really appreciate when people comment on mine. Kinda like a love language thing.. but who knows if they even care. Maybe it's just me. Maybe I need to find the few people that I connect with and stick with them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I totally hear where you're coming from Esther. Part of me still cares about the numbers, but I guess at this point I'm not as obsessed with it. It is hard not to get obsessed with it though, isn't it? Especially when you're working your butt off on your blog. You just go, "Why isn't there anyone following me??? I've got great stuff here!"

    I'm sure other bloggers care when you reply to comments (I know I do!). Most of the blogs that I visit on a regular basis, I actually go back and check in case they've commented on my comment on their blog. If not, no biggie, since most of them visit me and we get to 'talk' there. Or sometimes I send an email. I just wish disqus was a little more streamlined. =)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, Toni. This is a really insightful post. I think its easy to get obsessed with blog stats and followers very often and this is the exact thing that sucks the fun out of blogging. That's when I am worried and sad instead of creating content. Thanks for this amazing insight!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you so much for your kind words Zalika :) Yeah, it's so easy to focus on the numbers rather than why we started blogging in the first place, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Toni! I just started reading your blog and I love it! I live in New Zealand too :)



    - Ellen
    the-memo-of-e.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Ellen, thank you so much for stopping by and your kind comment. Nice to see a fellow Kiwi blogger around!

    ReplyDelete