Monday, 4 November 2013

Musing Mondays: Self Love & Body Issues

I'm all about self-love at the moment. At least, I'm trying to get there - with positive affirmations, taking care of myself by trying to eat healthier, getting more exercise in and stopping mental bashing dead on its tracks when I become conscious that I'm doing it.

So, even though I wasn't too crazy about the title, I snapped up the chance to get an advanced reading copy of Living With Your Body and Other Things You Hate from New Harbinger Publications. It sounds like a pretty helpful read, based from the blurb I read about it. It promises to teach us to learn how to cope with the negative and hurtful beliefs we have of ourselves by accepting them, without allowing us to focus on them.

I'll add in a little of the blurb that convinced me to read this book:
You know what it’s like to constantly be checking the mirror, to avoid certain social situations where your body may be exposed, or to gaze longingly at a fashion model in a magazine and think, “Why can’t I be her?” But what you may not know is that people who struggle with negative body image are at an increased risk for depression, anxiety, eating disorders, and low self-esteem. Body image problems can even lead to major financial issues. By focusing on your appearance and little else, you are hurting yourself in more ways than one.
I'm done with hiding behind someone else in pictures. Done with being down in the dumps because of my weight. Done with constantly buying clothes to feel good about myself. Fingers crossed this book helps. I'll let you guys know when I review it.

take care,



Musing Mondays is a weekly book meme at Should Be Reading. Click on the button if you want to play!

12 comments:

  1. Good for you!! Nobody should be defined by such things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome. You'll definitely have to tell me how the book is!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope this book helps you achieve your goal :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope this book is useful towards reaching your personal goals. Here's my musing: http://daystarz.wordpress.com/2013/11/05/musing-mondays-14/

    ReplyDelete
  5. That blurb sounds a lot like me too...Can't wait to see your thought on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds AMAZING. I am a book hoarder too :) mariahlauren.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. thanks Melissa! Will let you know once I'm finished :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nothing wrong with being a book hoarder ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. thanks Cleo! Fingers crossed :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Will do Samantha! Hope you're having a fab time in Florida.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Least of all by ourselves right? Thanks Keith!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooh! This sounds like a perfect book for me! I wish you the absolute best on your journey to loving yourself :D I need to do that, too (really, REALLY need to!). Let us know how this book is!!

    ReplyDelete