Wednesday, 9 October 2013

The One Where I Joined A Bookclub!



Happy Wednesday everyone! I hope everyone's having a fantastic week so far.

Last week, I challenged myself to join a bookclub. "But Toni," I hear you say, "That's not much of a challenge!" Oh yes, it is for someone as socially awkward as I am. I spent most of Thursday with sweaty, clammy palms and a stomach that felt like it had a hundred thousand butterflies flitting around it. The closer it got to 5:30pm, the worse I felt.

I must admit, I nearly turned tail and fled. I entertained the thought for a few seconds, and then quickly walked into the bookstore before I could change my mind. Once inside, I was gripped by panic again. I started toying with the idea that I could get away with pretending to be a customer and then hastily beating a retreat... until one of the staff recognised me from Facebook and introduced himself. Thank goodness for great customer service?

You betcha.

It was a little awkward as I was taken to the little seating area where the other book club members had gathered, but I must admit, I was surprised with my ability to carry on small talk - something that I normally crash and burn with. I once asked a friend's friend where in India they were from, to which I got a very scathing look as she snapped that she was from Sri Lanka. Surprisingly, that person is now one of my very close friends. How that happened, I'm still not sure.

I wasn't as verbose as the other members, but I managed to squeeze out a sentence or two. I couldn't do much about the ridiculous blushing as everyone looked at me, but hey, I'll take the win.

Now that I've slightly conquered the challenge of going out and meeting new people, I'm going to go a bit further by signing up and volunteering at the SPCA (Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals).

You guys have a great rest of the week!

take care,

5 comments:

  1. I really would love to someday join a book club. Maybe this winter!


    keithawynn2011.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Toni! Really enjoyed perusing your site! I am just popping in from the collective link party. I like your ideas and your photos and presentation. I would love it if you'd drop by my site at http://www.kneadedcreations.com and take a peek. I will look forward to seeing you there and reading your comments. Deb@ Kneaded Creations

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the compliment Debbie! I'm heading over to your site now :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. YAY! This would take a lot of guts for me too. I'd have to drag a friend along. I really need to challenge myself socially....

    ReplyDelete