Tuesday, 29 October 2013

On Things & Happiness

I wrote this today in my journal.

I need to remind myself that no matter how much I want something, it doesn't matter even if I get it in the end. Why? Because it won't make me truly, genuinely happy.

In fact, it'll only add to my problems. Where will I put it? What does it go with? How will I pay for it? Don't I already have one that kind of looks like it?

Then a few days later, whatever it was that I was so fixated on has been discarded in a corner, and I most probably have probably moved on to wanting the next shiny new thing. And it never ends.

I need to remember that I don't want to go back there. I don't ever want to be that girl again - the one that was constantly thinking about money, agonising over the credit card bill, hiding whatever she bought because she felt guilty about it, lying about how much it actually cost.

I don't ever want to be that girl that had so many nice things, but was incredibly, deeply unhappy. Never again.

I sincerely hope that you have never been and never will be in that situation. And if you're in it now, I hope you find the strength inside you to rise above it. Here's to moving forward, and here's to our happiness.

take care,

12 comments:

  1. Amen to that! All the things that make me really happy aren't things at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Toni! What honesty!
    I agree, it's so hard to be "that girl" and constantly worry about bills and shopping. It's so liberating to get those things off your back. In the end, those who love you will love you without the bling and great shoes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good on you girl! I constantly need to remind myself that. I can't even remember when I started being so materialistic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness, I have been out so long I didn't even notice your changed things around here! Love it! it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is people not things that are important. Nice post. Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great outlook. Memories are the best possession in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice post, I really like your outlook.

    Mel
    Mel's Corner

    ReplyDelete
  8. thank you Sami :) so true, those who love us will love us no matter what!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Susanne! Great to see you back :)

    ReplyDelete