Monday, 7 October 2013

Musing Mondays: The Single Woman's Sassy Survival Guide

from goodreads.com
I must admit, I'm feeling a fair bit of chagrin at reading this book, or any book of the same vein. I honestly don't know why. Is it the overly girlie cover? A bit rich coming from a blogger who's template screams pink at the moment. The term "sassy"? Or perhaps it's the mild, niggling sense of failure underneath it all? Whatever it is, it's making me extremely uncomfortable.

I will, however, concede that this discomfort could be a good thing. Surely the unease can only stem from the fact that I'm facing up and acknowledging things about myself that I need to change? 

If I look past the author's promise of being my best friend and the "you go, girlfriend" type of encouragements, "The Single Woman's Sassy Survival Guide to Letting Go & Moving On" isn't only a mouthful, it is - at its core - a pretty good guide to getting over your hang ups and getting on with your life. It's not just a how-to-get-over-your-ex book. It talks about accepting the reality of your "stuck" situations - such as settling for a dead-end job, or a friendship that you may have outgrown - and the reasons why it might be a good idea to get out of those situations.

Have you read any books that sound similar to this? What did you think of it?

take care,

9 comments:

  1. Well, I suppose, Bridget Jones' Diary is a similar genre, isn't it? Another such book is Girl Alone.

    http://cupandchaucer.wordpress.com/2013/10/07/musing-mondays-october-07/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting book. I am single and have been for longer than I was not. At this point I don't feel the need for the book but nice to know it is out there. Here is my



    MM

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello,
    I am new to the Collective Monday Blog Party! Thank you for hosting. I am one of your newest Google , twitter & pinterest followers .
    I would love if you could visit me ..
    http://thisolemom.blogspot.com

    Have a great week!

    Kim ~ This Ole Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stephanie @ Diary of a Debutan8 October 2013 at 12:48

    "He's Just Not That Into You" was surprisingly uplifting, despite the title and movie. This sounds like a great guide... as a fellow single lady, I can appreciate all the love and encouragement :) Stopping by from the GFC Collective-- thanks so much for co-hosting! I'm looking forward to your updates.


    xo,
    Stephanie
    Diary of a Debutante
    www.stephanieziajka.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Stephanie, thanks for stopping by! Yes, Greg Behrendt's book was pretty good, and so was "It's Called A Breakup Because It's Broken" was a great one too. Though I cringed a little at being called Foxy Lady. Though I think deep inside I secretly loved it. Haha! :)

    Now following you on bloglovin'!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Kim! Heading to your blog to have a nosey now :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Jo. Interesting musing you've put up this week. I think I would've taken that notice seriously if I saw it on someone's email. :P

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Udita, I haven't read Bridget Jones' Diary yet, but Mandy Hale's book is non-fiction. It's more to inspire and give hope :) thanks for dropping by!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I read this when it first came out. It was encouraging at the time, but not worth going back for a second read.

    ReplyDelete