Monday, 23 September 2013

Musing Mondays: The Bandit King and a mini-review of The Hedgewitch Queen

This week's Musing Mondays: "Tell us what you're reading right now - what you think of it so far; why you chose it; what you are (or aren't) enjoying about it."

Oh my goodness, how embarrassing. I got overly excited with Blogtember at Story of My Life that I forgot to participate in the last few weeks of Musing Mondays. My apologies!

I'm currently reading "The Bandit King" by Lilith Saintcrow. It's the second book in the "Romances of Arquitane" series. The prelude was incredibly explosive! So much so, I ended up shouting, "What?!" at my tablet. I think I may have shaken it a little too. Good thing I hadn't taken a sip of coffee beforehand.

I'm only one chapter in so far, so it's a little too early to say more about "The Bandit King". However, I had a bit of fun reading "The Hedgewitch Queen", so I decided to carry on with the series. I did find the heroine, Vianne, irritating as I got further into the book. Lacking huge amounts of self-confidence and being prone to swooning are fairly predictable damsel-in-distress traits, then inexplicably growing a small bit of backbone with no clear turning-point is just confusing. However, the storyline is intriguing, majority of the characters likeable, and the concept as a whole is entertaining - once I managed to look past the jarring mixture of old English "twas"-es mixed with heavily mangled French endearments.

Would I recommend it? Hmm, that's a toughie. It's a toss up between a 2.5 or 3 out of 5 chocolates for me.

Musing Mondays is a weekly book meme at Should Be Reading. Click on the button if you want to join and know more about it.

1 comment:

  1. Hi there Toni! It's wonderful to connect with a blogger in New Zealand. I currently blog out of Australia but I'm making the move to Dunedin and in true blogger fashion I've been curating a list of New Zealand bloggers :) I haven't actually heard of this book series, and it's not typically a genre I read but your enthusiasm for it has me interested!

    ReplyDelete