Wednesday, 4 September 2013

Giving Back

found on pinterest.com
If I could take time off from my life right now, and if I finances weren't an issue, I would love to go and do some volunteer work in Africa.

It's so easy to forget how lucky we are, and how quickly we can take for granted the blessings that we have in life. If you're reading this right now, I guess you could consider yourself lucky - you're already better off than the 775 million people aged over 15 who are illiterate.

I don't even want to get into the issues of food, water, housing, sanitation and medical resources. After less than 5 minutes of reading about facts and figures that I wanted to use for this blog post, I had to stop.

It made me sick to my stomach, that I could whine and complain about not having the latest mobile phone, when there are so many children out there dying every day from malnutrition.

So I'd like to give back. Not by donating $30 a month to sponsor someone (nothing wrong with that, but I'd rather know what exactly my money gets spent on), but by actually going there and doing work that would help a community - like volunteering to help build a clinic or a school, or teaching adults whatever they need to learn so they can teach their children.

What about you? Have you done any volunteer work? Would you consider it if you haven't?

Sept. 4 Blogtember topic: If you could take 3 months off from your current life and do anything in the world, what would you do?

Want to participate in Blogtember? Click on the button below!

2 comments:

  1. Rachel tryingforsighs5 September 2013 at 04:23

    You are right Toni, it's so easy to take things for granted. I wish I would have done some volunteer work abroad before I had any responsibilities. I think to do it when you have no ties is the best time to do this.
    Enjoy the rest of your day :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't agree more...it is so easy to take things for granted...we get so caught up in the marterialism that abounds and we forget how lucky we really are!

    ReplyDelete