Friday, 20 September 2013

Creative Writing Day: The Dinner Party

To say I was dreading the dinner party would be the understatement of the century.

But he wasn't there.

I practically sagged with relief. But... why do I feel a little disappointed?

Over the main course, I listened politely to Miles from Accounting as he chattered away about his kids. I tried to pay attention, but wow, I have to get the recipe from Sylvie's cook for this duck l'orange!

"Started without me have you?"

I froze, groaning inwardly as my fork clattered on to my plate.

"Oh Tristan, look, you startled Callie, not the first impression I was hoping for!" Sylvia trilled. I could feel my cheeks flaming. Curse my family's ridiculously pale Irish genes!

I caught a whiff of his cologne as he passed behind me, and tried to ignore the butterflies creating a whirlwind in my stomach.

I looked up and tried to smile, but I have a feeling it ended up more like a grimace. Tristan bent down and kissed Sylvie on the cheek, and proceeded to seat himself across from Miles. 

"Everyone, this is Tristan from our New York office," Sylvie said. As everyone smiled and greeted him, I focused on wishing for the floor to open and swallow me whole.

A quick glance confirmed that Tristan was staring at me. I felt Sylvie nudge my foot under the table, and I saw her Cheshire Cat smile. If she weren't my boss, I think I'd happily strangle her.

"Tristan dear, have you met Callie before? She does our art work," Sylvia asked, looking very smug as she glanced at Tristan, then at me.

"Pleasure," Tristan drawled, his icy blue gaze resting on me. I swear, if my cheeks could get any hotter, my head would probably burst in flames. At least it looks like he's not in a rush to tell her we had already met.

"Now, now, my pet. I've talked you up to Callie here, don't let me down," Sylvia pouted. I squirmed uncomfortably in my seat and reached for my wine glass.

"Please, mother. Spare us from your match making."

I nearly choked on my wine and ended up coughing.

Mother!?!?

Hmm, I'm kind of tempted to see where Callie and Tristan are heading! Looking forward to reading everyone else's entry!

take care,






Sept. 19 Blogtember topic: Creative writing day: writer a (very short) fictional story that starts with this sentence: "To say I was dreading the dinner party would be the understatement of the century."

Want to participate in Blogtember? Click on the button below!

6 comments:

  1. oh my gosh more!! this was very VERY captivating!
    :)
    can't wait to see what you do with it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You better continue with this story in future posts. I'm hooked!! SO good!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww thanks Samantha! Will let you know if I decide to revisit Tristan and Callie :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww thanks Mel! Errr... I dunno myself to be honest! >_<

    ReplyDelete