Wednesday, 28 August 2013

Writer's Workshop: 7 Qualities My Mother Has That I Wish I Had Too!

About a year or two ago, I had a conversation with a friend of mine, about how we've reached that certain age where nearly everyone we've grown up with is getting married or having babies. I confessed that I was starting to dread looking at Facebook - every other post was either a wedding photo or a baby snap. I guess when you see pictures of weddings and babies quite often, you can't help but start thinking about it yourself.

When the time comes that I have my own family, I would love to have some of the qualities that my mother has. To me, my mother is like Wonder Woman. She can do everything, withstand anything. I would love for my kid to look up to me like I do to my mother. Here's just a few of her sterling traits that I'd love to have for myself:

1. She never loses her sense of humour. Even in the face of adversity, she can still laugh and smile.

2. She's great with money. Whereas I'm terrible. She never spends beyond her means, doesn't live from pay cheque to pay cheque.

3. She's learned to like the simple pleasures in life. I guess that's tied in with her being financially savvy. I still find it hard to believe that when she was in her teens and early 20s, she used to be extravagant when it came to clothes and accessories.

4. She's the most resilient person I know. Life has thrown her quite a few punches, but she always manages to bounce back from all of it. She's the strongest, bravest woman I know.

5. She's a super safe driver. Well, I did get my license late...

6. She holds no grudges. She can lose her temper pretty quick, but ask her the next day why she was mad at you and she wouldn't even remember.

7. She's the best friend anyone could ask for. She tells you what you need to hear, when you need to hear it.


Mama’s Losin’ It

11 comments:

  1. We all need a parent who drives safely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She sounds like an amazing woman! As a life-long grudge holder, I have a huge amount of respect for people who can easily let things go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your mum sounds wonderful! Mums are made of special stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Leah! Yeah, makes me wonder if the special stuff turns automatically on when you have a baby. >_<

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi mj! Oh yeah, I'm a grudge holder too. I don't know how she does it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Definitely!


    And I'm still jealous over your red hair. :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a fabulous om and role model!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Peggy frogslop.com1 September 2013 at 11:46

    What great qualities your Mother has. As time goes by.... you will grown into some of them... you just never know when. My sister and I are amazed that we turned out somewhat like our Mother...amazing and I am grateful we have.

    ReplyDelete