Wednesday, 14 August 2013

Ten Things To Smile About

Thank heavens for memes, and awesome ones at that. I seem to have lost the ability to come up with things to write about. Or the ability to write for over a long period. So much so I've had to resort to .gifs for this post. I also seem to have lost my book review mojo. Eeeek. 

In spite of all that, I'm still itching to write, and I've been saved by Mama Kat's Pretty Much World Famous Writer's Workshop. Which is one thing I could smile about!

Without further ado, I give to you, My 10 Things To Smile About.

1. Being surrounded by books.
from aucklandmuseum.com
There's just something so calming and pleasurable about being in a book store or a library. I think it's a mix of the relatively hushed atmosphere, the scent of old and new paper, mingled with the thrill of being open to so many possibilities. I can't help it. A smile just slowly creeps its way to my lips at the sight of row upon row of books.

2. The perfect cup of hot coffee.
Or whichever your drink of choice is. That first sip that touches your tongue and then settles in to warm your tummy, which makes you close your eyes and go "Mmm.." as you smile. Bliss.

3. Puppies and kittens.


from lovelyfires.tumblr.com 
from yor-m0m.tumblr.com
Need I say more?

4. Babies.
Have you taken the time to stop and watch a baby? Fully concentrate on their reaction to the littlest things, how their expressions change so quickly, and often towards unabashed delight. Their eyes just sparkle as they giggle over whatever trivial thing has been dangled in front of them.

By the way, don't do this with strangers' babies, I don't think the parents would be too comfortable.

5. Balmy, sunny days.

6. Incredibly strange and terribly loud weirdos. The harmless ones that is.
Surely this has happened to you. You hear the odd man or woman ranting away, and you're trying not to smile or laugh, and then you see another person doing the same, and then you both look at each other like this:

from rebloggy.com
Ok, maybe I'm just being mean.

7. Hot guy or hot girl checks you out.
And you keep walking like you didn't notice and then as soon as they pass, your face goes:

from iback58.tumblr.com
8. Your favourite song comes on the radio when you start up the car.

9. Getting mail other than bills.
I love getting handwritten letters. I'm so glad that even with email, there are still people out there like me that are trying to preserve the dying art of letter writing. Sure, it's not convenient, it can get expensive and it's not really environmentally friendly, but I smile whenever I get a letter from a friend that I've made on the other side of the world - written with their own hand, and with patience and care. It's nice to know that someone took time out of their busy life to sit down to get to know me better and share their stories with me.

10. Positive comments.
There's nothing a blogger likes seeing better than lots of comment love! *hint nudge wink wink*

Mama’s Losin’ It

11 comments:

  1. Yes! Yes! and Yes!! I agree with all 10 :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kittens, puppies, and babies definitely make me smile, too. I don't get so much snailmail these days, but I do remember the joy it brought me to find a friend's visit nestled in my mailbox. Definitely beats getting bills! Oh yeah, comments from fellow bloggers absolutely make me smile a 1000x over! Love your list of things to smile about! ;)

    Your newest GFC follower, Cathy
    Thursday Thoughts: Muscles, 10 Things to Smile About, Water, & Nip/Tuck

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great list! We love our library too and kittens and cats always make me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely! Books, coffee, letters, good music! Oh, and positive comments ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with you on #1. I'd live in the library or our local bookstore if I could. And that little girl's face in #9 cracks me up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These make me smile as well!! Especially getting real mail - it just makes my day to get a letter or a card! And I love when my favorite song comes on the radio and I can turn it up with the windows down :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I could have written this list myself! I love everything about it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am loving your list! Like Karin, I could have written it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Books and babies, oh my, yes! #7 is too funny!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes to all but the weirdos. I keep waiting for them to do something crazy and that just makes me nervous. I keep my distance as much as possible. But yes to the rest :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just stopping by from Mama Kat's. You have said so many things that I should have written about!! Like the books and the Coffee. Two things I could never live without. And letters, I miss them so much! I very rarely get anything any more!

    ReplyDelete