Monday, 19 August 2013

Musing Mondays: What's Your Reading Style?

This week's Musing Monday: "...maybe you just want to ramble on about something else pertaining to books - let's hear it, then!"

If there's one word that my friends would use to describe me, it would probably be impatient. I like my instant gratification, thank you very much. Impatience has its uses. Such as:

* when I want something done, my impatience urges me to get it done faster and more efficiently = less time wasted, more time for other things (like napping).
* during potentially uncomfortable conversations, I get to the point straight away, which eliminates any possible confusion.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not extolling impatience as a possible virtue. I acknowledge that it has more negatives to it. Such as coming off as a completely rude jerk, and possibly dying young from a heart attack due to being angry all the time. One thing that my impatience negatively affects is my reading style.

The Book Jumper
When there's a lull in the book I'm reading, sometimes I'll end up temporarily abandoning it and picking up a new one to start on. Even if I'm really liking the book, it doesn't matter. If I get the least bit distracted by a new title, I'll leave it for a while. Or take turns between the two (or three, or four... I currently have 5 on the go). It's actually a wonder that I finish any of them, not to mention I don't get the characters and plots mixed up!

The Staunch Optimist (or Stubborn Bullhead)
Ok, this kind of disproves my claim of being a very impatient person, but I have since changed my attitude towards this. I used to keep on reading even if I found the book insufferable. I don't know if I was hoping for a miracle that the book could get better or if I was just being stupidly tenacious. Now however, I stop if I'm not enjoying the book. Life is too short and there are far too many books out there to waste your time doggedly reading one that you don't appreciate. I still do hold out as long as I can though before discarding it.

The Skipper
I am very ashamed of this and I'm not sure why. I sometimes, SOMETIMES(!!!) skip through paragraphs that depict settings - and only if the scenery had already been described before in vivid detail. I sometimes scan through long-winded dialogue too, only if it was used as a "clever" means of flashback. Sometimes.

Can I stress sometimes enough?

What's your reading style? What do you think it says about you?

5 comments:

  1. Hi Toni! I am a one book at a time kind of girl. Between work and my son's activities I find if I try to read multiple books I seem to lose track of details in each. I can however read books with my son and my own at the same time...not sure why that is.

    I am also working hard on being able to mark a book as DNF (Did Not Finish). This is hard for me because I feel somewhat guilty about abandoning a book if I can't get into it. I'm trying, but so far I have only truly abandoned one book! Yikes!

    I am a closet skipper as well if I feel that the details drag or the dialogue seems long-winded. I don't do this all the time, but once my eyes start to glaze over, or I can sense myself getting easily distracted (which is not too far off from my normal state), I will skip to keep myself interested.

    ~Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds a lot like me. Thanks for visiting my blog. I think quite a few of us have Venice on their bucket list and at least one on this meme has her tickets to go soon. I am a follower. Love to have you follow back if you have not already.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I admit I am a bit of a jumper...sometimes I jump back and sometimes I don't ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I must confess that most times I'm a staunch optimist - I keep on reading even if the book is not that great. But fortunately that doesn't happen very often. I'm very picky when it comes to choosing the books to read.

    And on a few occasions, I must confess I skip pages

    ReplyDelete
  5. I skip and jump books, too. LOL

    ReplyDelete