Monday, 5 August 2013

Musing Monday: Understanding Exposure

Eeeek. I forgot to link up to last week's Musing Mondays. Must remember to link this one tomorrow! The joys of living 16 hours ahead of the US/Canada.

If you'd like to join in on the Musing Mondays fun, just click on the 'button' I made below. This week, I've decided to go with:

Tell us what book(s) you recently bought for yourself or someone else, and why you chose that/those book(s).

Fat Mum Slim's Photo A Day has definitely kickstarted my love of photography again. I've always enjoyed taking photos, so one semester at uni, I signed up for a photography course. I wanted to know what it all meant when photographers wrote down a random bunch of numbers and settings that I couldn't make head nor tail of. I wanted to be able to use those settings and recreate similar results.

Unfortunately, the photography tutor was more interested in regaling the class about his toddler's adventures, and I never fully understood the relationship between aperture, shutter speed and ISOs. I think the only things I got out of that class were a healthy fear of the dark room, and a resolute conviction that I will never, ever print my own photos, ever again, thanks very much. Not when I can go get them printed at a brightly lit shop for 30c a pop.

Anyway, this week I got a copy of "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson. It was one of the titles that kept coming up on my search for recommendations for a beginner's guide to digital SLR photography. Fingers crossed it doesn't turn my brain to mush.

Do you know any other good books on digital photography? I'd love to hear about them. If not, what book have you recently purchased?


2 comments:

  1. I have tried several books but found I just have to experiment. Here is my muse: MM

    ReplyDelete
  2. i haven't read any digital photography books, but I remember one of my guy friends bought one entitled Creative Black and White -Digital Photography Techniques by Harold Davids or Davis... it might help :)

    ReplyDelete