Wednesday, 24 July 2013

WWW Wednesdays: A Long Walk, Unnatural Beasts and A Bit of Boneshaking

Yay it's Wednesday! And I'm joining in on WWW Wednesdays at Should Be Reading. On Wednesdays, I get to share with you what I'm currently reading, what I recently finished and what's next on my to-read pile.

Here are my answers for this week:

What are you currently reading?

 At the moment I'm reading Nelson Mandela's autobiography "Long Walk To Freedom". I'm more than halfway through and I'm just astounded by how much one man can be so dedicated to something he's passionate about - to give up so much to stand for what he believes in. Such a remarkable, inspirational person.

I'm not big on politics, so I've been hesitant to pick up this book for so many years. I was afraid that I wouldn't understand half of it, and that it would probably read like a textbook. But it's neither of the two. It's thoroughly engaging and easy to read.

What did you recently finish reading?


The last book I finished reading was "Unnatural Creatures" a collection of short stories selected by Neil Gaiman. I really enjoyed this book. I rarely get short story collections, I somehow feel a bit ripped off as I tend to fall in love with characters and settings. But this collection was just right, and introduced me to a plethora of fantasy authors that I'd never heard of, or haven't read any works of. Most of the stories were quite quirky and some were a little morbid, but I still enjoyed reading them.




What do you think you'll read next?


I guess I'm cheating a bit on this one, because I've read a good chunk of it last month, but ended up so engrossed in "Long Walk To Freedom" that I haven't managed to give this one any time! Cherie Priest's "Boneshaker", well, as much as I've read of it, is pretty good so far. It sounds like dystopian that might be mixed with, well, zombies. Intriguing.




What about you? What are you reading at the moment?

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you, Nelson Mandela is such an amazing figure, but I don't honestly think I could intelligently talk about what he's done. I may have to see if the library has that one available, I'm not much of a non-fiction reader, but occasionally I will, and he's definitely a towering historical figure of our times!

    I generally stay away from anthologies too, I think for the opposite of your reason though, they just aren't usually developed enough to interest me because they are short, though if Neil is choosing them, I might give it a try! I've recently become a Gaiman fan after listening to him read the Graveyard Book!

    I'm interested in Boneshaker too, but just keep not being sure, so it's on my wishlist, in case someone ends up wanting to gift it to me in an exchange.

    I would love it if you visited my WWW! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete