Monday, 22 July 2013

Musing Mondays - recent library additions!

Time for something book related! I hope you guys had a great weekend. 

I've decided to join this week's Monday Musings at Should Be Reading. Each Monday, you can pick one from any of the book-related questions listed at Should Be Reading. I've decided to go with:

Tell us what book(s) you recently bought for yourself or someone else, and why you chose that/those book(s).



I recently bought 2 books - Neil Gaiman's latest novel, The Ocean at the End of the Lane, and The Silver Bough by Lisa Tuttle. The first I purchased because I'm a big fan of Neil Gaiman, and all his fans have been waiting a long time for him to release a full novel instead of another short story collection. So I'm really looking forward to reading this one! Here's an excerpt from goodreads.com:
Sussex, England. A middle-aged man returns to his childhood home to attend a funeral. Although the house he lived in is long gone, he is drawn to the farm at the end of the road, where, when he was seven, he encountered a most remarkable girl, Lettie Hempstock, and her mother and grandmother. He hasn't thought of Lettie in decades, and yet as he sits by the pond (a pond that she'd claimed was an ocean) behind the ramshackle old farmhouse, the unremembered past comes flooding back. And it is a past too strange, too frightening, too dangerous to have happened to anyone, let alone a small boy. 
Forty years earlier, a man committed suicide in a stolen car at this farm at the end of the road. Like a fuse on a firework, his death lit a touchpaper and resonated in unimaginable ways. The darkness was unleashed, something scary and thoroughly incomprehensible to a little boy. And Lettie—magical, comforting, wise beyond her years—promised to protect him, no matter what. 
A groundbreaking work from a master, The Ocean at the End of the Lane is told with a rare understanding of all that makes us human, and shows the power of stories to reveal and shelter us from the darkness inside and out. It is a stirring, terrifying, and elegiac fable as delicate as a butterfly's wing and as menacing as a knife in the dark. 
When I went into my local bookstore, I only intended on getting a copy of Gaiman's book. However I saw The Silver Bough. I have kept coming across this book over the past few years, so I thought I'd bite the bullet this time. Also it might have something to do with the endorsements from George R.R. Martin and Neil Gaiman on the book cover...

Here's the teaser on the back of the book:
In a hidden orchard a golden apple dangles from a silver bough. 
In Scottish folklore, that apple is the price to get into Elysium. 
For Appleton, a small Scottish town, it holds memories of ancient lovers' rituals too-long forgotten. 
Now the town teeters on the edge of decline and the mists are rolling in. 
And in the mist, something is stirring... 
How could you not get hooked in by that?

3 comments:

  1. Hi,
    The Ocean at the End of the Lane seems to be a really interesting book (I must confess I didn't know Neil Gaiman).

    Here is my muse, if you’d like to check it out:
    Musing Mondays – Ten reasons why book people are also cat people
    http://bookishfindings.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have The Ocean at the End of the Lane. I haven't read it yet. I am saving it for our Science Fiction Book Club. Here is mine: MM

    ReplyDelete
  3. both books are very pretty in terms of the cover . i love it! i have a musing too.. check it out http://wp.me/p3v5T1-90

    ReplyDelete