Monday, 2 April 2012

In My Mailbox: NZ Book Month Goodies!

Well hellooooooo! It's been a while. How's everyone been? It's been more than a month since my last post, eeek. Sorry folks! Things are only starting to slow down for me at the new job. Hopefully more posts coming from me from now on. I know you've been waiting with bated breath. Pffft. Right. If anyone's even reading this!

March was New Zealand Book Month! Well, at least last year and this year it was. From what I know, it's not really been well established. A few years back it was September, then October, then skipped one year. So who knows about next year. But I digress. To celebrate NZ Book Month, Booksellers NZ gave away $5 vouchers to go towards any book over $10. Combined with my staff discount, it was a no brainer. Stock up time!

But wait! There's more...

Please do excuse me as I won't really be doing much writing, but more of a copy and paste session from Goodreads. Hopefully you get to discover some new books though!

Outliers by Malcolm Gladwellwhat makes high-achievers different? His answer is that we pay too much attention to what successful people are like, and too little attention to where they are from: that is, their culture, their family, their generation, and the idiosyncratic experiences of their upbringing. Along the way he explains the secrets of software billionaires, what it takes to be a great soccer player, why Asians are good at math, and what made the Beatles the greatest rock band.

Well, I must be one sorry excuse for an Asian then, seeing as I'm a terrible failure when it comes to even the simplest mathematical equations.

How To Be A Woman by Caitlin Moran Why are we supposed to get Brazilians? Should you get Botox? Do men secretly hate us? What should you call your vagina? Why does your bra hurt? And why does everyone ask you when you’re going to have a baby? Part memoir, part rant, Caitlin Moran answers these questions and more in How To Be A Woman – following her from her terrible 13th birthday (‘I am 13 stone, have no friends, and boys throw gravel at me when they see me’) through adolescence, the workplace, strip-clubs, love, fat, abortion, TopShop, motherhood and beyond.

Cleopatra by Stacy Shiff Famous long before she was notorious, Cleopatra has gone down in history for all the wrong reasons. Shakespeare and Shaw put words in her mouth. Michelangelo, Tiepolo, and Elizabeth Taylor put a face to her name. Along the way, Cleopatra's supple personality and the drama of her circumstances have been lost. In a masterly return to the classical sources, Stacy Schiff here boldly separates fact from fiction to rescue the magnetic queen whose death ushered in a new world order. Rich in detail, epic in scope, Schiff 's is a luminous, deeply original reconstruction of a dazzling life.

The Art of Travel by Alain de Botton Any Baedeker will tell us where we ought to travel, but only Alain de Botton will tell us how and why. With the same intelligence and insouciant charm he brought to How Proust Can Save Your Life, de Botton considers the pleasures of anticipation; the allure of the exotic, and the value of noticing everything from a seascape in Barbados to the takeoffs at Heathrow.

The Woman in Black by Susan Hill Set on the obligatory English moor, on an isolated causeway, the story's hero is Arthur Kipps, an up-and-coming young solicitor who has come north to attend the funeral and settle the estate of Mrs. Alice Drablow of Eel Marsh House. The routine formalities he anticipates give way to a tumble of events and secrets more sinister and terrifying than any nightmare: the rocking chair in the nursery of the deserted Eel Marsh House, the eerie sound of pony and trap, a child's scream in the fog, and, most dreadfully, and for Kipps most tragically, the woman in black.

How excited am I to see Harry Pot... errrr, Daniel Radcliffe, return to the big screen! But first, must read the book!

The Bleeding Dusk by Colleen Gleason and The Tower of Ravens by Kate Forsyth - I got these for $5 each. I think it was the price more than anything that got me...

Strictly Confidential by Roxy Jacenko - which I won from Good Reading Magazine. Sounds like The Devil Wears Prada... sort of!

Run, Fat Bitch, Run by Ruth Field - I've started reading this and I must admit, I'm a bit skeptical. She admits a few chapters in that she's actually never been overweight... but it is a funny, if not totally inspiring read, so far. Perhaps a review may be in order once I've finished.

Pure by Julianna Baggott - what got me intrigued most with this book that it comes in two covers. One is white, the other black. Then the simple title. Imagine my delight when I discovered it's a dystopian!!!

City of Dragons by Robin Hobb - much awaited third part to the Rainwhild Chronicles. I literally squealed when I saw it being unpacked from the box!

The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivy Alaska, 1920: a brutal place to homestead, and especially tough for recent arrivals Jack and Mabel. Childless, they are drifting apart--he breaking under the weight of the work of the farm; she crumbling from loneliness and despair. In a moment of levity during the season's first snowfall, they build a child out of snow. The next morning the snow child is gone--but they glimpse a young, blonde-haired girl running through the trees...

Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend by Matthew Green Budo is Max's imaginary friend. But though only Max can see him, he is real. He and the other imaginary friends watch over their children until the day comes that the child stops imagining them. And then they're gone. Budo has lasted a lot longer than most imaginary friends - four years - because Max needs him more. His parents argue about sending him to a special school. But Max is perfectly happy if everything is just kept the way it is, and nothing out of the ordinary happens. Unfortunately, something out of the ordinary is going to happen - and then he'll need Budo more than ever...

Wonder by R. J. Palacio Auggie Pullman was born with a facial deformity that prevented him from going to a mainstream school—until now. He's about to start 5th grade at Beecher Prep, and if you've ever been the new kid then you know how hard that can be. The thing is Auggie's just an ordinary kid, with an extraordinary face. But can he convince his new classmates that he's just like them, despite appearances?

And some very nice free reading copies from head office:

Lone Wolf by Jodi Picoult Edward Warren, twenty-four, has been living in Thailand for five years, a prodigal son who left his family after an irreparable fight with his father, Luke. But he gets a frantic phone call: His dad lies comatose, gravely injured in the same accident that has also injured his younger sister Cara. With her father’s chances for recovery dwindling, Cara wants to wait for a miracle. But Edward wants to terminate life support and donate his father’s organs. Is he motivated by altruism, or revenge? And to what lengths will his sister go to stop him from making an irrevocable decision?

So Much Pretty by Cara Hoffman In her first novel, investigative reporter Hoffman presents a beautiful and chilling exploration of violence, vengeance, and the loss of innocence that would drive someone to commit an unthinkable crime.

Into the Darkest Corner by Elizabeth Haynes Catherine has been enjoying the single life for long enough to know a good catch when she sees one. Gorgeous, charismatic, spontaneous - Lee seems almost too perfect to be true. And her friends clearly agree, as each in turn falls under his spell. But there is a darker side to Lee. His erratic, controlling and sometimes frightening behaviour means that Catherine is increasingly isolated. Driven into the darkest corner of her world, and trusting no one, she plans a meticulous escape. Four years later, struggling to overcome her demons, Catherine dares to believe she might be safe from harm. Until one phone call changes everything.

Well, that's it from me! Until next time!

What bookish goodies did you get this week? 


In My Mailbox is a weekly meme created by The Story Siren for book bloggers so we can share the books and book-related items that we're excited about.

14 comments:

  1. What a nice haul! I may have to add some of these to my TBR pile.

    Thanks for sharing your goodies!
    Dani C
    http://paulettespapers.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome picks! I loved the Hunger Games. I hope you enjoy them as well! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Lauren :) I've already read the Hunger Games and loved it! Just had to get them in the beautiful black covers though. heehee!

      Delete
  3. Loved The Hunger Games trilogy and the movie. Have you seen it? I've got Cleopatra, Lone Wolf and Pure on my TBR mountain but a friend just finished Lone Wolf and was really disappointed so I'll probably put it off for a while.

    The Snow Child is on so many blogs, it's on my wishlist :)

    Enjoy your reads!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Teddyree! Yes, I've seen the movie... I liked it, but there were some parts I felt wasn't explained properly. I was impressed with Jennifer Lawrence though! And the girl who plays Prim, great performance! What did your friend say about Lone Wolf? I've only ever read My Sister's Keeper.

      Delete
  4. Yay, good to have you back Toni! How to be a Woman sounds like such an interesting read - I think I'll add that to the list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. great to be back Megan. :) thanks for reminding me not to neglect my blog!

      Delete
  5. You've got some good ones here! I really liked OUtliers and the Hunger Games trilogy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So according to Malcolm Gladwell, I am so far not an outlier because... I have an average IQ (I think, I don't actually know what my IQ score is); I was not born at the beginning of the year; I was probably not born at the best of years - I have hit my "prime" during a worldwide recession. Well, that's how far I've got. I'm interested to see why rice = fantastic mathematician, seeing as all I've had is loads of rice = protruding tummy + math dunce.

      Delete
  6. Great list. I've been meaning to read Robin Hobb for a while and your post made me look him up - guess what! I found Dragon Keeper on offer for Kindle, just £1.99, so I've downloaded it. Look forward to seeing what it's like :-)
    New follower

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Katja! Yeah Robin Hobb was one of those authors I've been meaning to read for a long time. Dragon Keeper takes a while to really take off, but do keep reading because as soon as they get to the actual voyage, it's great! Her second book is far better, that's why I'm really excited about the third. :) Fingers crossed that it's a winner!

      Delete
  7. Welcome back! Nice to see you posting again. I hope work is going well.
    There are a lot of books that you listed that I really want to read. Pure, Lone Wolf, Wonder, and The Snow Child are all on my list. I hope you enjoy them!

    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jess! Yes, really excited to read Wonder and The Snow Child. However I've just started Wolf Hall so it'll be perhaps two weeks until I can start on them. So many books, too little time!

      Delete