Tuesday, 14 February 2012

Top 10 Tuesday: Books That Broke My Heart

Happy Valentines Day everyone! This week's Top Ten Tuesday features the books that broke our hearts. Apparently they're doing an anti-Valentines thing. Either way, I shall be celebrating by spending my day training for a new job as a store manager, in a town where I know nobody, then whisking myself off away to a romantic evening for one, in whichever accommodation the company chooses to put me up in. But that's okay.


Hello Bradley Cooper... how you doin'?

Errr, anyway... on to the heartbreakers.

1. Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden - yes, the movie was visually appealing, but if you haven't read the book and you loved the movie, please read it. Such a beautiful, heartbreaking story.

2. Hades' Daughter by Sara Douglass - I loved Cornelia so much. Wife to a brute named, errr, Brutus, unloved and neglected. I remember enjoying the Troy Game series, but I wasn't a big fan of the ending.

3. Girl with a Pearl Earring by Tracey Chevalier - I enjoyed reading this. It was so beautiful. Then Scarlett Johansson just had to make it perfect. She's my girl crush. <3

4. The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards - such a sad, sad story of twins that were separated.

5. The Thorn Birds by Colleen McCullough - oh Father Ralph de Bricassart! Oh Meggie! Hmm, I remember reading this when I was 12. Is that bad? Then again, I was allowed to watch Beetlejuice was much as I wanted at the age of 5. I think I should have a word with my mother.

6. The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness - I'm a little annoyed that I can't remember what it was that made me cry about it. But I do remember crying. I swear!

7. A Kingdom of Dreams by Judith McNaught - aww, the first romance novel I ever read! Yes, I shed tears in some parts, and blushed immensely in some. Okay, make that several parts. I think I was a little too young when I read this.

8. My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult - it could've been the break up I just had when I read this two days after. Or not. But it did leave me bawling like a newborn.

9. Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince - I remember my flatmate walking in on me, finding me a complete and utter mess after reading that one of the main character dies. I'm not mentioning names in case someone hasn't read it yet. But if you haven't read it yet or seen the movie... have you been hiding under a rock? Ha ha ha... no, seriously. Have you?

10. One Day by David Nicholls - goddammit Nicholls! I mean, really? Why don't you just pull out my heart and stomp on it with a Doc Martins boot.


Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish. Each week they post a new Top Ten list that one of their bloggers will answer, and everyone is welcome to join. All they ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND add your name to the Linky widget on their post so that everyone can check out other bloggers lists!

2 comments:

  1. The Memory Keeper's Daughter and My Sister's Keeper broke my heart too! But both are such amazing books. Congrats on the new job Toni, sounds great! Will you be working with books?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read The Memory Keeper's Daughter late last year and it was just SO sad.

    ReplyDelete