Tuesday, 10 January 2012

Top 10 Tuesday: Dear Author, Please Write Another Book!

1. Walter Moers - well, this one isn't really fair, because he has written a new book. It's just in German. The annoying thing is, the English versions of his books take 1-3 years to come out. The newest novel he's written is Das Labyrinth der Träumenden Bücher, which in English is The Labyrinth of Dreaming Books, which I guess is a sequel to The City of Dreaming Books. I started studying German a few years ago, and gave up on it shortly after I started. If there's an incentive for me to kickstart learning German again, I think Walter Moers is it.

2. Neil Gaiman - it's been far too long since Mr. Gaiman has written anything for adults. The last novel was Anansi Boys, and Fragile Things in 2006, which is a short story collection. The most recent works are picture books. Can you hear me impatiently tapping my foot?

3. J.K. Rowling - apparently she'll start writing under a pseudonym? Hmm. Well, I guess after the success of Harry Potter, anything after that could be considered sub-par. Though I still think it's a risk worth taking, if you don't take Tales of Beedle the Bard into consideration (it was released while I was still working for Borders, and it was expected to be a tremendous success. Alas, it was not so.).

4. L. M. Montgomery - who could not love that Anne girl?

5. Homer - The Odyssey kicks butt! I still need to read The Iliad, but goodness, after I got the hang of the writing-style, I could not put The Odyssey down.

6. Antoine de Saint-Exupéry - only because of The Little Prince. I haven't read any of his aviation books, and probably never will, but The Little Prince is so beautiful.

7. Arthur Golden - I guess after the whole lawsuit it's put him off writing? But still, Memoirs of a Geisha was an amazing book. It's a shame he hasn't written anything since.

And for the last 3 authors, no further explanations are necessary.

8. Lewis Carroll

9. Hans Christian Andersen

10. The Brothers Grimm

10 comments:

  1. hey thanks for stopping my blog .lol. maybe a shelfari group or good reads group might work? and people could just imbox other peoples adresses so they aren't displayed in public? idk. yeah i haven't heard too many good things about cinder. sad though, because i was really excited to read it. Yes JK rowling should definitely write something else. even if it is a tales of the beadle and the bard type of thing

    ReplyDelete
  2. No list is complete without J.K., huh? I hope she decides against the pseudonym, but I guess there is a ton of pressure on her after HP. Great list!
    My Top Ten Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, yes, yes. I'd give anything for another Little Prince or another collection of fairy tales from the Grimm brothers.

    Here is my Top Ten Authors I Wish Would Write Another Book. I hope you will stop by!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome list. I can't believe I haven't read any Gaiman yet - something I need to fix soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow there's a sequel to The City of Dreaming Books?! I loved that one! I have two others by him still to read though so I can't complain of Moers-withdrawal! ;)

    I never finished The Odyssey when I had to read it in uni, but I've always intended to go back and read it all the way through one day. I've never read The Little Prince! And I forgot to put Rowling on my list, can you believe it?! ;)

    Here's my list.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't wait to see what Rowling comes up with next...I doubt anything can exceed HP...but that doesn't mean that she should hide behind a pseudonym.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wonder if the pseudonym idea has come up bc she feels so much pressure. When and if she publishes something else, the world will compare whatever it is to the HP novels. A pseudonym might be the only way she feels she can write honestly?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love The Little Prince. I think making this list helped me realize that there are lots of authors I love whose books I haven't even read all of. I would still love them to publish more though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I soooo want Neil Gaiman to write another book for adults. I am a HUGE fan of his and have most of his works on a special shelf in my room. I would love to see something else from JK. I enjoyed Beetle the Bard- but it was different than writing another book because it was still HP related and I think because they are sort of like fables they only appeal to some people. I agree with your list and want more from these amazing writers!

    ~Jess
    http://thesecretdmsfilesoffairdaymorrow.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. oooh! you touched upon EVERY single one i thought of upon reading the title to this post :)

    http://theymaysaythatimadreamer.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete