Tuesday, 31 January 2012

Top 10 Tuesday: Great Book Club Picks

I'm in a bit of panic, as I've got a job interview on Thursday morning. I haven't been in an interview in a really long time. The last 2 promotions I got, I didn't need an interview for. So anyway, excuse me if I sound a bit hysterical during my current and up coming posts.

Anyway, this week's Top Ten Tuesday asks for the top ten books we think would be great for a book club. Which is great because I've been thinking of joining one. Unfortunately, I now live in a small city, and the only book club I'm aware of meets on a Tuesday morning. Which means when I get the job (how's that for confidence?), I won't be able to go. Pffft. Enough about the prospective job, here are my top book club reads:

1. The Color Purple by Alice Walker - it took me quite a while to get into this book, but it was such a moving story.

2. The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom  - it really makes you think of how you treat the people in your life, and how even the smallest of your actions could change somebody else's life forever.

3. The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho - I don't think it needs an explanation. It's pretty much a staple for most book clubs.

4. Room by Emma Donoghue - such a shocking story that leaves its reader speechless.

5. The Shack by William Young - religion is always one of those topics that people tend to shy away from, so I can see interesting debates for this one.

6. The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake by Aimee Bender - I'd love to know how people think they'd cope with a situation where they could taste what someone feels.

7. The Little Prince by Antoine Saint-Exupery - such a beautiful story, open to lots of interpretation.

8. Freedom by Jonathan Franzen - I thought this one was very thought provoking, and makes you wonder what you'd do if you were in each of the main characters' situations.

9. The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood - I think discussing what people would do in a dystopian world could be interesting.

10. Yes Man by Danny Wallace - it would be interesting to see what everyone else thinks about saying yes to (nearly) everything for a whole year, and what kind of rules they'd put in place for themselves.

Which books would you recommend for a book club?


Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish. Each week they post a new Top Ten list that one of their bloggers will answer, and everyone is welcome to join. All they ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND add your name to the Linky widget on their post so that everyone can check out other bloggers lists!

7 comments:

  1. I had started read Alchemist years ago, but I put it down because it had way too much religious stuff and I just couldn't read it. I will never finish it, not my type of read. I have the color purple but I haven't read it yet

    http://kristina-worldofbooks.blogspot.com/2012/01/top-10-tuesdays-9.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just read The Alchemist and loved it! Awesome recommendations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome list. I have heard a lot about Room. It is one of my mothers favorites. I have yet to read it myself, but would like to give it a try. I can see that it would make for some interesting club discussion.

    -FABR Steph@FiveAlarmBookReviews
    My Top Ten...

    ReplyDelete
  4. So many of these are on my TBR. Many recommended by girls in my book club!! Great list!

    ♥Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, Handmaiden's Tale! I haven't read the rest of them, but I have heard of most of them.

    Good luck on your job interview!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting variety in your list. I loved Room and think it would be really fun to discuss.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i do always enjoy your picks, toni! :D and i just started "the shadow of wind" for my feb book challenge - i was rereading wicked and son of a witch after i finished up rereading through the looking glass - after i finished up on the hunger games tril. wow, that's -- 6 books!? oh my.

    see, this is why i enjoy your challenge. if it were up to me... i'd just keep reading the same material over and over.

    ahah.

    ReplyDelete