Thursday, 5 January 2012

Noah Barleywater Runs Away by John Boyne

Rating: 4 out of 5 chocolates

In Noah Barleywater Runs Away, bestselling author John Boyne explores the world of childhood and the adventures that we can all have there. Noah is running away from his problems, or at least that's what he thinks, the day he takes the untrodden path through the forest. When he comes across a very unusual toyshop and meets the even more unusual toymaker he's not sure what to expect. But the toymaker has a story to tell, a story full of adventure, and wonder and broken promises. And Noah travels with him on a journey that will change his life for ever. A thought-provoking fable for our modern world from the author of the bestselling and critically acclaimed Boy in the Striped Pyjamas.

I love fairytales. So I was pleasantly surprised when I started reading this book, since I had no idea that it was one. When I got this from the store, I was actually after a copy of The Boy in the Striped Pajamas, but they didn't have any in stock. Since it's the most recent book John Boyne had written (for younger readers. The Absolutist is Boyne's most recent work.), I thought of giving it a try. I'm so glad I did.

As we follow Noah through his journey away from home - from encountering a trembling apple tree, a Helpful Daschund and a Hungry Donkey, and meeting the curious toymaker - we slowly find out why Noah ran away in the first place. John Boyne has written this story so beautifully, that even grownups would appreciate Noah's story, and how anyone can have the courage to stand up to their problems and face them.

4 comments:

  1. I love fairy tales, also - will have to check this one out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never heard of this book- but I have heard of this author. I have been wanting to read The Boy in the Striped Pajamas. This book sounds adorable- I love fairy tales. I will have to read this one!

    ~Jess
    http://thesecretdmsfilesoffairdaymorrow.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Toni! I had to stop by here and tell you that I just had another blogger bag my review of The Night Circus! Her thoughts were pretty intense and quite opinionated. I have written a response to her but I feel a little annoyed. I know how much you love the book so I just wanted to vent my frustration here with you ha ha! You should check it out when you get a chance and let me know what you think... hmmm this is a first and I'm a little bit surprised by the whole thing. Even if I didn't necessarily agree with someone's review, I don't think it would take it to the extreme quite like she has. Let me know your thoughts when you get a chance! Hope all is going well :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gah!!! Hmm, I'm going to have to stalk you on facebook so we can have a good private, errr... discussion. :)

    ReplyDelete