Sunday, 8 January 2012

In My Mailbox: How Not To Shop, A Fairytale, A Cyborg Cinderella and An Evil Boardgame

Wow, 8 days into the new year already? Really? I've got nothing to boast of this year so far aside from 2 trips to the beach and 5 books finished. I need to start getting more productive. I hope you guys are still doing brilliantly with your resolutions/challenges.

Speaking of resolutions, I'm trying to cut back on buying books.

WHAT?!?! But...


Yes, I do. I really do buy books like some women buy shoes. Heck, I'd rather go barefoot than not have books.
However, a friend of mine is getting married in Koh Samui in July and I would love to go. I've been to Phuket before, which I absolutely loved, so it would be nice to see another part of Thailand. Which means I need to save up, big time. 

BUT... January is the time for SALES!

"I spent about $500 today, but it was
all 50% off, so I practically saved money!"

I had one last hurrah at bookdepository.com and grabbed some books (which will probably arrive in a couple of weeks), and a trip to the local bookstore cost me a grand total of $15.98, which is pretty good for 2 books here in New Zealand. The average book costs around $35.

Anyway, here are the two books I got on sale. The first one is called, funnily enough:
How Not to Shop by Carmen Reid. Her passion is fashion, but she's on a budget! Personal shopper Annie Valentine is about to hit the big time: presenting a glamorous TV makeover series! But too late, Annie discovers this is TV on a shoestring. They're paying her buttons and her budget is zip. Can she make do with Primark when all she wants is Prada?





The Forbidden Game Bind-up: The Hunter, The Chase, The Kill. It all started with a board game. But what was supposed to be an evening of friends, fun, and games, becomes a night of danger, drama, and obsessive love. Because when Jenny and her friends try to play the Game, it comes to life. Suddenly they are in a dark world where Julian, the gorgeous guy who sold Jenny the game, rules as Prince of the Shadows. Julian is in charge, making their darkest nightmares reality. And he will do anything to claim the beautiful Jenny as his prize. The Game is real, and these friends must play through - and the only way to win is to face their most secret fears. To lose the Game is to lose your life. And that is only the beginning...

And last but not least, some goodies for my e-reader:

Cinder by Marissa Meyer. A forbidden romance. A deadly plague. Earth's fate hinges on one girl ...CINDER, a gifted mechanic in New Beijing, is also a cyborg. But when her life becomes entwined with the handsome Prince Kai's, she finds herself at the centre of a violent struggle between the desires of an evil queen - and a dangerous temptation. 







Entwined by Heather Dixon. Azalea is trapped. Just when she should feel that everything is before her . . . beautiful gowns, dashing suitors, balls filled with dancing . . . it's taken away. All of it. The Keeper understands. He's trapped, too, held for centuries within the walls of the palace. And so he extends an invitation. Every night, Azalea and her eleven sisters may step through the enchanted passage in their room to dance in his silver forest. But there is a cost. The Keeper likes to "keep" things. Azalea may not realize how tangled she is in his web until it is too late.

I finished reading Entwined a few days ago and I thought it was a very entertaining princess fairytale. As for Cinder, I'm a third into it and goodness, it's... good!

What bookish goodies did you get this week?


In My Mailbox is a weekly meme created by The Story Siren for book bloggers so we can share the books and book-related items that we're excited about.

7 comments:

  1. I've been hearring mixed things about 'Cinder', but I think I will definitely read it when it comes out in Australia (Yep I live in Aus and have cousins in New Zealand). I think we should join a book buying club about how to not buy a million books. I am the same. I have the biggest piles of unread books in my cupboards and still I keep fantasing about what to buy on fishpond next time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How Not to Shop sounds great :) A bit like Kinsella's Shopaholic series, but great nonetheless. I'll check it out on Goodreads.

    Here's my IMM for this week if you'd like to take a look.

    Have a nice weekend,
    Vicky
    Books, Biscuits & Tea

    ReplyDelete
  3. Books can be a very expensive habit. A healthy addiction, but an expensive one :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm still trying to decide whether or not to give Cinder a try :) I wish I could figure out a way to not buy books...let me know if you come up with a magic potion to cure our need for more books when we already have plenty ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Five books read already!! I'd say you're doing pretty well for the start of a new year! BTW, I'm going to Koh Samui in three weeks for a friends wedding. I'm one of her bridesmaids so pretty excited! I've never been to Thailand before so I'm really looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Entwined was a beautiful read! Looking forward to your review of Cinder.

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow fabulous post
    new follower of ur blog
    now follow my blog
    http://glamorousgirlblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete