Tuesday, 27 December 2011

Top 10 Tuesday: 2011 Favourites

A new year is coming in a few days, hooray! Well, I haven't exactly kept it a secret as to how much I hate 2011, so you can't blame me for being totally excited about it coming to a close. However, it was a great reading year for me. I discovered lots of new authors and got re-introduced to dystopian fiction. Here's my choice gems of books I read in 2011 (some were not published this year):


1. The Alchemaster's Apprentice by Walter Moers - anyone who enjoys 'out there' and comedic fantasy will love Walter Moers' Zamonia books. If you're a fan of either Terry Pratchett or Jasper Fforde, I highly recommend you give Walter Moers a try. This one is about Echo the Crat, a cat that can talk in several languages and has two livers. Echo bargains his life with Ghoolion, the evil alchemaster, to save himself from starvation. But as the end of their bargain draws near, Echo tries to find ways to save himself from the alchemaster's evil clutches.


2. Room by Emma Donoghue - I was pretty stunned after reading this book. It still makes me feel at a loss whenever I recall the story. It's the story of Jack, a five-year-old boy who lives in a single room with his mother. Truly unnerving. 


3. The Agony and the Ecstasy by Irving Stone - a biographical novel about Michelangelo. Made me want to go back to Italy to explore Rome again and finally visit Florence.


4. The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss - the sequel to The Name of the Wind. I enjoyed it just as much as the first book. A definite must-read for fantasy fans.


5. One Day by David Nicholls - this book made me feel so heartbroken. I loved it so much that I'm actually afraid of watching the movie - I love Anne Hathaway, but I kept reading bad reviews about her role as Emma. I found One Day such a believable story, the author made the characters seem so real.


6. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins - my re-introduction to dystopian fiction, which set off an avaricious appetite for more. As a side note, the first dystopian story I had read was The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness, which was brilliant as well, though I found the intentional spelling mistakes jarring to read. Anyway, I digress. The Hunger Games is brilliantly original. Read it.


7. Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins - the last book in the The Hunger Games series. I couldn't have asked for a better conclusion.


7. Divergent by Veronica Roth - another dystopian young adult book that I enjoyed. Not as much as The Hunger Games, but entertaining in its own right. I think it's brilliant that there's been a plethora of YA books written which feature strong female protagonists that don't need saving by Prince Charming every 5 seconds. Take that, Bella.


8. Noah Barleywater Runs Away by John Boyne - I haven't read The Boy in the Striped Pajamas, but I thought I'd give this one a go. This book is aimed more for middle grade, I think. A beautiful story, interwoven with a surprise faerytale towards the end.


9. Shades of Grey by Jasper Fforde - Jasper Fforde is a genius. If you've been a little dubious about The Nursery Crime and Thursday Next series, give this one a go. It's been described as Nineteen Eighty Four, in colour.


10. The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern - last, but not least, my favourite book from this year. If you want to know more, you can read my review here.





Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish. Each week they post a new Top Ten list that one of their bloggers will answer, and everyone is welcome to join. All they ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND add your name to the Linky widget on their post so that everyone can check out other bloggers lists!

19 comments:

  1. I have One Day here to read at the moment, so I'm excited to get to it. I've heard so many good things about it and since the movie came out it's been everywhere even more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm thrilled to see Wise Man's Fear on your list too! I LOVE that series and always get a little thrill every time I see that someone else does too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've read 6 of these and have a sense of accomplishment at that ha. I love how eclectic your list is -- from YA to adult to genre fiction. Shades of Gray sounds up my alley so I'll have to check that out from the library.

    Also, I agree re: The Knife Of Never Letting Go and the mispelling. It was so hard to get used to at first! But I thought it was well worth the effort in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fascinating and well-thought-out list. I will definitely give Fforde and Moers a try.

    Please take a look at my new challenge to read the ALA YA Book Award winners for 2012.

    Anne@HeadFullofBooks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad to find someone else with The Wise Man's Fear on their list! Seriously good book!

    Tara @ Hey, Tara

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved Room and The Night Circus. :)
    Here’s my Top Ten Tuesday post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Divergent is on my list as well! It had such an interesting plot! I'm looking forward to Insurgent!

    I've not met a single person who didn't love The Hunger Games! AMAZING! Team Peeta forever!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just have to read Divergent! And Shades of Grey. And The Night Circus. My wishlist is lo-o-ong! :) Thanks for stopping by!

    Monaliz @ Mind Reading?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm going to have to add a few of them to my TBR for this year!! Great list!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Seeing Night Circus on fifty lists has decided me: I'm off to WM to get a copy today!

    Here's my Top Ten Favorite Books I Read in 2011.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Hunger Games made my list as well...and I'm not a big YA reader right now....great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I actually really loved Divergent! I recommend it to just about everyone I know, if only because I think it's so awesome.

    I read the entire Hunger Games trilogy this year too - and it was fantastic. I'm not a big fan of Mockingjay, but I loved the series on the whole.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Loved One Day, for sure! Heartbroken is a great way to describe it!!
    I definitely need to read Divergent in 2012!

    BTW, love your blog design!!

    Thanks for stopping by!

    Michele | Top 10

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great list! I don't think I could read One Day after the way the movie left me, lol.

    Jess @ Gone with the Words
    My TTT post!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Both Room and One Day were on my favorites list last year. They both were totally compelling narratives for very different reasons. Stunned is a good word for Room.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am eager to check out the Night Circus next year. Glad to see it at the top of your list. Room is very good, and One Day sounds fabulous. Love your eclectic list!
    Hope 2012 is another great reading year for you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey(: You've been awarded The Versatile Blogger Award. The details are here http://allsortsofbooks.blogspot.com/2011/12/versatile-blogger-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. You have a lot of books on your list that either made it to mine or were very close to making it. Great picks and thanks for stopping by my blog.

    JJiReads
    Check out my Top Ten List

    ReplyDelete
  19. I absolutely LOVED Room and thought it was such a beautifully written story. I just couldn't put it down!

    ReplyDelete