Wednesday, 9 November 2011

Wishlist Wednesday: The Leftovers

The Leftovers by Tom Perrotta
ISBN: 9780312358341
Publisher: St. Martin's Press


"What if - whoosh, right now, with no explanation - a number of us simply vanished? Would some of us collapse? Would others of us go on, one foot in front of the other, as we did before the world turned upside down? That's what the bewildered citizens of Mapleton, who lost many of their neighbors, friends and lovers in the event known as the Sudden Departure, have to figure out. Because nothing has been the same since it happened - not marriages, not friendships, not even the relationships between parents and children. Kevin Garvey, Mapleton's new mayor, wants to speed up the healing process, to bring a sense of renewed hope and purpose to his traumatized community. Kevin's own family has fallen apart in the wake of the disaster: his wife, Laurie, has left to join the Guilty Remnant, a homegrown cult whose members take a vow of silence; his son, Tom, is gone, too, dropping out of college to follow a sketchy prophet named Holy Wayne. Only Kevin's teenaged daughter, Jill, remains, and she's definitely not the sweet "A" student she used to be. Kevin wants to help her, but he's distracted by his growing relationship with Nora Durst, a woman who lost her entire family on October 14th and is still reeling from the tragedy, even as she struggles to move beyond it and make a new start. With heart, intelligence and a rare ability to illuminate the struggles inherent in ordinary lives, Tom Perrotta has written a startling, thought-provoking novel about love, connection and loss." - from bookdepository.com


It looks like I'm enjoying dystopian fiction a little too much recently. I'll blame it on The Passage by Justin Cronin. Although it's mostly a horror novel, it does have dystopian qualities. It left me wondering if I could ever cope in an environment like that (the answer is: No. I don't run fast. Plus I complain too much. People would just shoot me to make me shut up.). So, when I came across this book, it was automatically added on to my wishlist.


In other news, some goodies I've been waiting for have arrived in the mail today!




Aren't they beautiful? I can't believe the design for these books were actually handstitched. Click here to see them in their full beauty. French flaps and complete wrap around galore! I got these ones from Bookdepository.com


This one arrived in the mail today as well, courtesy of Random House New Zealand. And just when I thought I never win anything!




I was so excited when I received the email! But I think the best part of it is:




Yay! Thanks so much Random House! Happy Wednesday everyone!

Wishlist Wednesday is a weekly book blog hop hosted by Pen to Paper where we can talk about books that we can't wait to get off our wishlists and on to our bookshelves. Everyone is welcome to join. Instructions on how to join are available on Pen to Paper.

6 comments:

  1. I love your books! I think The Leftovers is on my TBR list - I haven't managed to read any dystopian books yet but it's definitely something I would like.

    And oh my - can I just say how gorgeous those three books look? The Secret Garden is one of my favourite books anyway,so it's even better!

    Congrats on the autographed copy! :)

    Here's my Wishlist Wednesday post

    Vicky @ Books, Biscuits & Tea

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great read Toni!

    I love the hand-stitched covers of those classic books, I've seen them before and I'm thinking of doing a blog post on them. They're so beautiful!

    Looks like you've got lots of reading ahead of you. Have fun!

    Megan @ Storybook Love Affair

    http://storybookloveaffair.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's awesome...especially that it's signed and the other books are so lovely! BTW, we must have very similar taste...I have the audio version of The Leftovers queued up for when I finish what I am listening to know!! It sounds so good!

    Here's My Wishlist Pick!

    ♥ Melissa @ Melissa's Eclectic Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Leftovers sounds just my kind of book :) one to add to the wishlist!!!

    Jenny - My Wishlist Wednesday

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Leftovers sounds fascinating. What a concept! I think it is a book I would really enjoy- definitely have to add it to my wish list!

    Also- I cannot believe the gorgeous books you received. WOW! I would love them for my collection. :)

    ~Jess
    http://thesecretdmsfilesoffairdaymorrow.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Weeeh! James Patterson! Cool!

    Congrats! :-)

    ReplyDelete