Wednesday, 2 November 2011

Wishlist Wednesday: Happily Ever After

I love fairytale books. I collect large, hardbound, illustrated ones. I only have 4 though, because they're not only large, they're a bit heavy on the pocket too. When I do persuade myself to get one, I tell myself it's for the purpose of preserving a bit of history. If I really want to be honest with myself though, I think I buy them for the little kid inside me that doesn't want to acknowledge the fact that I'm now a grown-up.


So another avenue for my inner child is to read fairytale retellings. Novels such as John Connolly's The Book of Lost Things and Gregory Maguire's Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister are some of my favourites. So I was pretty stoked when I came across Happily Ever After.


"Happily Ever After" is a star-studded book of fairy tales, featuring an introduction by Bill Willingham ('Fables') and stories by Gregory Maguire, Susanna Clarke, Karen Joy Fowler, Charles de Lint, Holly Black, Garth Nix, Kelly Link, Peter Straub, Neil Gaiman, Patricia Briggs, and many other fantasy luminaries. - from bookdepository.com


Guess I'll be adding that to my Christmas wishlist!


Just as a side note... One Chocolate Box is one month old today! Yay!


Wishlist Wednesday is a weekly book blog hop hosted by Pen to Paper where we can talk about books that we can't wait to get off our wishlists and on to our bookshelves. Everyone is welcome to join. Instructions on how to join are available on Pen to Paper.

7 comments:

  1. Happy One Month Anniversary Toni!!

    What a beautiful book you have chosen this week! I love fairy tale books too and this one sounds wonderful. It's a shame they're so expensive but like you said, it's a little bit of history.

    I remember reading about The Book of Lost Things on this blog and you made me want to read that one too.

    Hope you get to read this one soon and that somebody may buy it for you as a Christmas present!

    Megan @ Storybook Love Affair

    http://storybookloveaffair.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy anniversary!! :)

    It sounds like a great read! :) Hope you get it for Christmas!

    Here's my Wishlist Wednesday post for this week.
    Have a great week,
    Vicky xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yayyy!! Happy one month anniversary!! xoxo

    I love fairy tales too! It's fascinating to see all the variations (and then the re-tellings too)

    My Wishlist Pick

    ♥ Melissa @ Melissa's Eclectic Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, this book really does sound amazing!!

    you have a new follower :)

    Abi @ Love of Literature
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy one month Anniversary of your blog Toni! That sounds like a beautiful and very enjoyable pick. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love fairytales too! I am a huge fan of Wicked and The Ugly Stepsister and loved The Book of Lost Things. I also enjoyed The Sisters Grimm:Fairytale Detectives (a middle grade novel. I have a few special copies of fairytales and always keeps my eyes out for new ones (and I am on the look out for a book I had when I was little- that I adored, but I can't remember the name of). Happily Ever After sounds great- I will have to put it on my list, too!

    Happy one month anniversary!

    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, Toni! I adore fairy tale retellings. I've never heard of Happily Ever After but it reminds me of Ellen Datlow and Terri Windling's fairy tale anthologies. It looks like there are some fabulous authors (luminaries, indeed!) included so I might have to check this one out.

    New follower ~ Misfit Salon

    ReplyDelete