Tuesday, 8 November 2011

Top 10 Tuesday: Books I Have Read That Made Me Uncomfortable

I guess my comfort zone is being happily ensconced in fantasy fiction. Lately, I've been dipping into dystopian and paranormal genres. I read a fair bit of general fiction too. But of course, there's some books that I tend to pick up out of need (for school or work), or curiosity, even though I'm not quite happy being seen with said book. Or it could also be that the topic just makes me squirm. With that said, here are the top books that were outside my comfort zone, in no particular order.


1. The Shack by William P. Young - the first religious book that I read that isn't the Bible. There were times I just wanted to stop reading it, but I was determined to review it, so I persevered. In hindsight, I should have just stopped reading.


2. Sex Life by Pamela Stephenson-Connolly - I'm not a prude, but I must say I walked out of work with this book with my ears burning, and they continually burned while I was reading it. Didn't finish it, as I wasn't interested in reading about people past 50 getting it on.


3. Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte - we weren't required to read the usual set of classics at school, so this was the first classic I read and it was for a book club. Since I wasn't used to the old English, I found it a struggle, but perversely enjoyed the tragic story in the end.


4. Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov - the topic of paedophilia makes my blood boil, so I don't know what the hell I was thinking when I picked up this book.


5. 1st To Die by James Patterson - this is the first crime book I've read, it was suggested to me by a good friend from college. I was uncomfortable with the descriptions of the crime scenes, but I enjoyed the book.


6. One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez - another one of those books that I don't know why I picked up when I was 14. Everyone was either named Jose Arcadio or Aureliano. I finished the book, more or less confused about what it was I had just read.


7. City of Golden Shadow by Tad Williams - the first science fiction novel I read. It took forever to get anywhere with its 780 pages in teeny tiny print. I think I only started enjoying it once there was a quarter of the book left. Needless to say, I haven't picked up any of the other books in the series.


8. Noli Me Tangere (Touch Me Not) by Jose Rizal - not the first Philippine novel I read for school, but it's the one that sticks out the most because of how tragic it is. I honestly don't know how I managed to barely pass all of my Filipino classes in school.


9. Dracula by Bram Stoker - the first proper horror novel I read at 12. I think the thought of reading a scary grown-up book scared me more than the actual story itself.


10.The Savvy Girl's Money Book by Emily Chantiri - money isn't a topic I feel comfortable discussing, so when I found this book I was pretty happy. It talks about money matters in a straight forward manner, but doesn't dumb it down.


What books have you read that were out of your comfort zone?

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish. Each week they post a new Top Ten list that one of their bloggers will answer, and everyone is welcome to join. All they ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND add your name to the Linky widget on their post so that everyone can check out other bloggers lists!

9 comments:

  1. That's funny, about Dracula. It took me until last year to finally pick it up and read it already. It turned out to be a really good book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really should read Dracula! I've been considering The Shack but I think I will pass! And I could not finish 100 Years of Solitude_it sits still on my shelf patiently waiting for me to pick it back up!

    ♥ Melissa @ Melissa's Eclectic Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's funny how sometimes we pick up books on topics we KNOW we don't like, and end up liking them. And then others on topics we KNOW we don't like, and don't like them. I guess there is no magic formula for books we'll like (at least that I know of).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had to read Dracula for my English degree. I was surprised when I loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! I'm pretty stoked to see Noli Me Tangere in your list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. A fascinating variety of books. I hated Dracula.
    Here's my Post

    ReplyDelete
  7. It really surprised me (in a good way) to see Noli Me Tangere on your list! I couldn't finish the book in Filipino (though I tried to for school as well), but I have read it in English and I actually liked it :)

    New follower!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I still haven't read The Shack or Lolita...for the very reasons you discussed above...I guess there are some topics that we just can't see through to the other side on...I don't know...my husband read and loved The Shack and said I should read it too. Nah.

    ReplyDelete
  9. When I found out The Shack was religious - is it Christian fiction?? - it really put me off and I haven't had any desire to read it. It was hugely popular though, and I sometimes wonder why.

    You finished City of Golden Shadow, I'm impressed! I couldn't get more than about 15 pages in. I was reading almost nothing but fantasy at the time, but this one I couldn't read. I still have it, somewhere, but I will probably die without ever getting through it!

    My list.

    ReplyDelete