Tuesday, 1 November 2011

Top 10 Tuesday: Books That Evoke Strong Emotions

In no particular order... 


1. My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult - I could not stop the tears when I was reading this book. It probably also didn't help that I had just broken up with a boyfriend while I was reading it. Pffft.


2. Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt - this is the first book that had me alternately roaring with laughter and bawling my eyes out. It's been referred to as my 'lunatic' book.


3. Whitney, My Love by Judith McNaught - the first romance novel I read that made me cry. I was 16 when I read it.


4. The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern - if you've been regularly visiting my blog for the past few weeks, you're probably not the least bit surprised right now.


5. Jemima J by Jane Greene - I loved it as I could relate to the character's weight issue, and then I wanted to throw it against a wall after I finished with it.


6. The Gathering by Anne Enright - this one's another throw against a wall book. Unfortunately it was the first ever book I've read that won the Man Booker Prize. It's kind of made me wary of Booker Prize winners since.


7. Yes Man by Danny Wallace - it was so infectious, I found myself saying yes to things I normally wouldn't have!


8. Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier - I have never hated a heroine as much as this one. This one's past throwing against a wall for me. It's a rip it to pieces and make a bonfire one. Don't know why I kept reading though.


9. One Day by David Nicholls - one of the best books I've read this year. It ripped my heart out.


10.All Blacks Don't Cry by John Kirwan - written by a rugby legend and former All Black John Kirwan. His journey through depression is amazing.



Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish. Each week they post a new Top Ten list that one of their bloggers will answer, and everyone is welcome to join. All they ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND add your name to the Linky widget on their post so that everyone can check out other bloggers lists!

10 comments:

  1. Really great list! I'm glad to see we have My Sister's Keeper in common. It sounds like I really need to pick up The Night Circus!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh Angela's Ashes is a great choice!

    One Day is on my TBR list... just have to wait until the request line from my local library calms down a bit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely hear you regarding One Day - it's an amazing book!!!

    Anne (from Living in a Fairy World)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved the Night Circus!! The small child in me was squealing in delight every time a new tent was added!

    My Top Ten List

    ReplyDelete
  5. Speaking of Daphne du Maurier, have you read My Cousin Rachel? She is one character that made me angry as well.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sad to say that I haven't read any of those books! I need to look into 9 of them. The Night Circus is already on my Wishlist!!

    ♥ Melissa @ Melissa's Eclectic Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  7. #1 & 2 - yes!!

    I've had Yes Man on my shelf for a while but haven't got to it yet; it sounded so good!

    p.s. I love your background!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved Angela's Ashes and craved boiled eggs for a week after I read it because Frank McCourt talked about how wonderful he thought they were.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes for One Day!!

    I hear My Sister's Keeper is an intense read.. I also read Night Circus.. enjoyed it! :)

    Thanks for stopping by!

    Michele | My Top 10

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have One Day on my tbr pile, other than that I haven't read any of these books, although The Night Circus is on my wishlist. Definitely looking forward to One Day though, everyone keeps telling me it's amazing!

    ReplyDelete