Tuesday, 15 November 2011

Top 10 Tuesday: Books Gathering Dust on My Shelf

Hi, my name is Toni and I'm a book hoarder collector. Even though I read a lot, I buy/borrow/steal/get given far too many books when I know my reading speed cannot possibly keep up. I think it's a fair enough estimation that for every 1 book that I finish reading, 5 more have taken its place. I put myself on a book buying ban and ended up walking out of a store with 11 books on the very same day


Moving flats has become such a problem. I have a lot of stuff. A LOT. It's a safe enough assumption that 35-40% of said stuff are books. The rest are clothes (also a lot), my bed, table, bedside table, chest of drawers and a few kitchen things. So that's a lot of books.


So, with the books I've managed to amass over the years, you can imagine there'll be a few casualties of neglect. Books that have been waiting patiently on my shelves to be picked up, but get shoved further down the reading pile as shiny new books take the coveted spot on my bedside table. If books could talk, I bet these forgotten ones would be screaming for justice...


Neglected due to sheer size:
1. Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel - waiting roughly a year and a half.
2. Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts - waiting half a year.
3. My Friend Leonard by James Frey - neglected for more than three years.

4. World Without End by Ken Follett - half a year.
5. Brisingr by Christoper Paolini - nearly two years.

Neglected due to various intimidating factors:
6. The Satanic Verses by Salman Rushdie - five years?
7. Perfume by Patrick Suskind - about the same time as above.
8. The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver - half a year.
9. Everything Is Illuminated by Jonathan Safran Foer - more than a year.

10. Suite Francaise by Irene Nemirovsky - possibly been sitting for two years.


Do you have any dust covered books on your shelf? Which ones are they?

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish. Each week they post a new Top Ten list that one of their bloggers will answer, and everyone is welcome to join. All they ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND add your name to the Linky widget on their post so that everyone can check out other bloggers lists!

12 comments:

  1. oh i forgot suite francaise, that should probably be on my list. i've had that since it was first published.

    haha, i love this phrase: "due to various intimidating factors" haha:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hoard books too. I tried the whole not buying books thing this year, then gave in last month and brought 34 in a week. I now think book bans are stupid because you're just delaying the shopping spree.

    My top ten is here if you'd like a look :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. HA///I probably have about 75 books that I've not yet read...mostly classics that I picked up here and there! I've heard that Pillars of the Earth is great!

    ♥ Melissa @ Melissa's Eclectic Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have a lot of the same books! Wolf Hall and World Without End are both kind of intimidating - they're so huge! But I read Pillars of the Earth last year and it only took me 5 or 6 days which is not bad at all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. World Without End is a great book. Haven't read the others.
    Here's My Post

    ReplyDelete
  6. We share Wolf Hall and The Poisonwood Bible. :)
    Here’s my Top Ten Tuesday post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brisingr was awesome but it took me quite a while to read it too. I think about a year. I wanted to read the series over again, and I didn't have time until the next year

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your categories. I've wanted to read Wolf Hall, but it's only on the imaginary shelf in my head, and not physically sitting there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Brisingr is my favorite of the Inheritance Cycle so far -- but I have Inheritance in my hands, so things might change. Good luck catching up on your TBR!

    ReplyDelete
  10. OKKKK. How did I not put Suite Francaise on my list?! That honestly is probably one I've had on my shelf for forever. I probably didn't see it because it was so far buried! lol

    Everything Is Illuminated -- I LOVE JSF! As in top 5 fave authors list status. I love EL&IC better but I still did love this. So quirky. Loved the movie too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVED Perfume but it is a weird one. I couldn't get into The Satanic Verses; I was supposed to read it for a book club but I couldn't get past the first page. It's written in a very obscure kind of way it seems. Yet I know people who love it so I feel I shouldn't write it off.

    I liked Suite Francaise but it moves at its own pace. It has a great sense of time and place I thought.

    Here's my list (I was really late on this one!).

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really want to read Everything is Illuminated. Send it over! ;)

    ReplyDelete