Tuesday, 29 November 2011

Top 10 Tuesday: Summer Reads

This week's Top Ten Tuesday is asking for my 'to read' list for winter. Well, seeing as I'm on the other side of the hemisphere, I present you with my beach reads for this summer! As usual, in no particular order whatsoever:


1. Incarnate by Jodi Meadows (31st Jan) - a society of souls. Oh come on, it definitely sounds different.


2. City of Dragons by Robin Hobb (23rd Feb) - third book in the series. Squeal! The first book took forever to kick in, but goodness once they were on that journey, it was so 'unputdownable'!


And since I have taken a break from the land of the living dead (oh you poor zombies, working your boney butts off), I need to curb my spending habits and actually read books that are already on my booshelf:


3. Never the Bride by Paul Magrs - the first in a mystery series that can be read as standalones apparently. Hey, I couldn't possibly go wrong with this at $2.


4. Nocturnes by John Connolly - a short story collection from a very charming man which I've been fortunate to meet.


5. Plain Truth by Jodi Picoult - it's been a while since I've read a drama, why not?


6. A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian by Marina Lewycka - thoroughly enjoyed Two Caravans, so looking forward to this one too.


7. Burning Your Boats by Angela Carter - another short story collection.


8. Like Water For Chocolate by Laura Esquivel - it was the title that got to me, really. I mean, come on.


9. Divergent by Veronica Roth - yay, another dystopian read! It's been getting rave reviews too, so I'm quite excited.


10. Matched by Ally Condie - ditto as above.


What are you reading this summer/winter?



Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish. Each week they post a new Top Ten list that one of their bloggers will answer, and everyone is welcome to join. All they ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND add your name to the Linky widget on their post so that everyone can check out other bloggers lists!

14 comments:

  1. A great list to snuggle down with this winter. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to read Incarnate! heard good things about it.

    Totally love your list!

    Here's my Top Ten List
    Jay @ We Fancy Books

    ReplyDelete
  3. how can you not love the title "like water for chocolate" ?? that's why i read it too. i mean, anything with chocolate in the title has to be good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are so Northern hemisphere-centric , eh? I haven't read any of those! #9 & #10 are on my wishlist though!


    ♥ Melissa @ Melissa's Eclectic Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  5. Divergent is so good! I loved it and I'm sure you will too :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Divergent and Matched are two of my favorite books! I hope you enjoy them as much as I did!

    My Top Ten

    ReplyDelete
  7. Divergent was such an amazing book. I suggest you read it ASAP. You should enjoy it if you like dystopians. =]
    Here is My Top Ten

    ReplyDelete
  8. Divergent is incredible! It's nearly 500 pages long and I read it in one sitting. I couldn't put it down. As for Matched, that's on my shelf too and I really want to get to it. (And about a million other books. Sigh.) Great list. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved A Short History of Tractors in Ukranian, it's a very ironic book. I've got a few of those books to-read too. It's been a long time since I read any Robin Hobb. I remember the first book in the Ship trilogy was really slow and took me forever, but it was so brilliantly written and once it took off it really took off! But it's the only trilogy of hers I've finished.

    Here's my list.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I saw the movie for Like Water for Chocolate in one of my foreign cinema, and it was relaly good. I should probably read it at some point. Great list!
    Em
    A Beautiful Madness

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've read Nocturnes and liked it a lot, but I haven't read the others on your list. Looking forward to your reviews on them!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This sure is a diverse list, Toni! I've been wanting to read Divergent myself. Let me know what you think about it.

    ReplyDelete