Wednesday, 23 November 2011

Top 10 Tuesday: Authors I'm Inviting To My Dinner Party

This week's top ten asked for ten authors that we would like to have as guests over Thanksgiving, but unfortunately, Thanksgiving is not celebrated in New Zealand. So, I shall cheat a little and tell you about the authors I would like to have dinner with... and while they're at it, help me in the kitchen. As usual, in no particular order:


1. J. K. Rowling - anyone who knows me would not even wonder why. But I think she'll be in charge of dessert. No Puking Pastilles allowed though.
2. Neil Gaiman - he gets an invite just so I can tell him how awesome he is. Plus, for some reason I'd imagine he's probably got good taste in wine...?
3. Terry Pratchett - and the same with this guy too. 
4. Erin Morgenstern - with her talents in conveying mood, atmosphere and design as a storyteller, I think she can be in charge of decorations and music.
5. George R. R. Martin - aside from possibly being assigned the grill, I would probably pepper him with questions regarding his books.
6. Jasper Fforde - will be in charge of taking photos. I shall also be badgering him as to why I have to wait until 2013 to read the next Shades of Grey book.
7. Walter Moers - because he's my most favourite author. And I can also brush up on mein Deutsch. Ja, das ist richtig.
8. Frank McCourt - (r.i.p.) well, it's not as if this theoretical dinner would ever come into fruition, so I may as well... after all, his was the first book I have ever read that I truly appreciated. Angela's Ashes made me bawl my eyes out, laugh out loud, sigh with melancholy and shake with rage.
9. Jamie Oliver - I'm a disaster in the kitchen, and his cookbooks are the only ones that I can seem to follow without burning the house down. And hey, someone has to be in charge of the food at the party.
10. And of course, someone needs to do the dishes, but though I am evil, I shall not name names, so insert absolutely useless author here.


Which authors would you love to have over for dinner?

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish. Each week they post a new Top Ten list that one of their bloggers will answer, and everyone is welcome to join. All they ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND add your name to the Linky widget on their post so that everyone can check out other bloggers lists!

9 comments:

  1. I'm afraid Mr Pratchett has already accepted MY dinner invitation, but perhaps I could swap him with Mr Gaiman for part of the evening, so we both get the best of both worlds. ;)
    Here’s my Top Ten Tuesday post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and may I humbly suggest Stephenie meyer for dish-washing duties? She and her entire squad of emo vamps would get them *ahem* sparkling in no time! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love #10! Great list. I totally forgot about J.K. Rowling on mine.

    My top ten is here if you'd like a look :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Frank McCourt would have been fascinating to talk to! I read all of his books and think that Angela's Ashes was the the best of them all. How he survived all that I have no idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your list! I definitely agree with JK Rowling <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. If I am interested in checking out N Gaiman, which book would you recommend I start with? I had thrown The Graveyard Book on my wishlist just because the name sounds cool and I wanted to remember to check the author out.




    ♥ Melissa @ Melissa's Eclectic Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this list Toni! Great choices, especially with Erin Morgenstern and Jamie Oliver.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can I volunteer tot be #10? I'd wash dishes just to be there!

    Melissa - I loved the Graveyard Book but Stardust is a great book to introduce you to Neil's work. It's not as dark, but it is excellently written.

    ReplyDelete
  9. agreed. Stardust is AMAHzing darling, absolutely amazing.

    ReplyDelete