Monday, 21 November 2011

Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi

Rating: 2 out of 5 chocolates


Juliette has not touched anyone in 264 days. The last time she did, she was locked up by The Reestablishment for the murder of a little boy - an accident which eats at her, making her believe she is a monster. No one knows why her touch is lethal. Then one day, much to Juliette's horror, a boy gets thrown into her cell. Adam, the boy that she has been in love with for so long.


Tahereh Mafi's Shatter Me is an enjoyable enough read, if you're looking for something light and insubstantial. The writing is very lyrical, heavy with semi-poetic metaphors. It is set in a dystopian world where birds no longer fly, poverty and disease have destroyed the population, and The Reestablishment's word is law. Not to worry though, as the story doesn't really focus on these things at all. It focuses on Juliette and Adam's love story, and Warner, the main antagonist, and his obsession with Juliette.


* Please be forewarned that there will be spoilers ahead*


The origins of Juliette's powers are not explained. It's a bit reminiscent, if not exactly that, of Xmen's Rogue. Her touch is so lethal, so powerful, that it kills. Inexplicably (and conveniently), Juliette is able to touch Adam without causing any harm. Personally, I cannot stand it when things happen a little too conveniently for the protagonists - where is the drama? The climax? Such as in the part where Juliette is able to rescue Adam from captivity so easily because *gasp* there are no guards around.


As for the writing style, I enjoy lyricism, truly I do. I'm a sucker for poetic prose. However, Mafi's overloaded lyrical writing became tiresome after a while. The use of strikeouts were completely unnecessary and after a while, annoying.


I find it really unfair to say all of these things, because I actually didn't mind reading this book. In fact, I enjoyed it. I did a whole lot more groaning and eye-rolling while reading Stephenie Meyer's Breaking Dawn than when I read Shatter Me. So, to reiterate, if you're looking for something light, dystopian and with a love story, pick up Shatter Me and try not to think too much for answers afterwards. Hopefully they will be in the second book.

4 comments:

  1. Good review. Probably not going to be on my reading list, but I am looking forward to a review of Full Dark No Stars!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many books, so little time. It's nice to know someone is steering us in the right direction. have a great day -Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the way you write Toni! Another wonderful review.

    By the way, I'm absolutely loving The Night Circus!! It's easily one of the best books I have read in a long time, if not ever! I'm totally addicted. I'm noticed that you've dedicated another blog to it as well so I'm gonna join! The book is amazing!

    Megan @ Storybook Love Affair

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have nothing but good things to say about this book. It's just full of awesomeness. This is one book that I totally love. The story of Juliette and Adam is just... one of a kind, a riveting story. One of the best dystopian book this year!

    ReplyDelete