Saturday, 19 November 2011

Abarat by Clive Barker


Rating: 2 out of 5 chocolates


Abarat is the story of a teenage girl called Candy Quackenbush, living in sleepy Chickentown, Minnesota (I'll save you from a search on google: no, Chickentown is not real). Candy has never really fitted in, and is thought to be weird by most of the people that know her. The story kicks off after Candy has an argument with a teacher and storms out of school. She ends up in a field at the outer fringes of town, where she meets John Mischief, whose 7 brothers live on the horns on his head. John is being chased by the evil creature called Mendelson Shape, and Candy helps him escape. Candy and John (and John, John, John, John, John, John as well as John) get swept into Abarat, which consists of 25 islands that represents the different hours of a day. Thus begins Candy's journey across Abarat.


I must say, this was a bit of a disappointing read for me. The basis of the plot reminded me a little too much of Alice in Wonderland. There was even a crazy magician who wore a lot of hats.  I also couldn't quite connect with the main character, which for me is quite important when I'm reading. I have often heard rave reviews from Clive Barker fans about how fantastic his work is, so this fell a little below average for me. However, I'll try another one of his works before I completely write him off. If you've read any of his books and enjoyed them, I'd love to hear your recommendations.

2 comments:

  1. Wow...that sounds..well...Nuts, to be honest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Toni! I received the book in the mail yesterday! Thank you so much again, can't wait to read and review it! You're wonderful!

    Megan @ Storybook Love Affair

    http://www.storybookloveaffair.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete