Wednesday, 19 October 2011

Wishlist Wednesday: The Night Circus

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern
ISBN: 9781846555244
Publisher: Harvill Secker


Full description from Bookdepository.com
The circus arrives without warning. It is simply there. Within the black-and-white striped canvas tents is an utterly unique experience full of breathtaking amazements. It is called Le Cirque des Rves, and it is only open at night. But behind the scenes, a fierce competition is underway -- a duel between two young magicians, Celia and Marco, who have been trained since childhood for this purpose by their mercurial instructors. They don't realize that this is a game in which only one can be left standing. Despite themselves, however, Celia and Marco tumble headfirst into love -- a deep, magical love that makes the lights flicker and the room grow warm whenever they so much as brush hands. True love or not, the game must play out, and the fates of everyone involved hang in the balance, suspended as precariously as the daring acrobats overhead.


I think this is one of those books that you can't help but pick up, just to satisfy your curiosity. Not only is the cover beautiful, but the idea of a circus mysteriously appearing and opening only at night is intriguing. It's also gotten very positive reviews so far. Claire Messud from the guardian.co.uk wrote that it "is a genuine pleasure to read. Like any successful illusion, it could be carefully unravelled; but surely, as rare as it is, it should simply be enjoyed."


I got excited when I first heard about this book in September, during the Random House roadshow. I'm still eagerly awaiting my free reading copy. Makes me miss working at a bookstore sometimes! Very apt to that my birthday has fallen on Wishlist Wednesday! I'm sure this one will be on my bookshelf soon!


Wishlist Wednesday is a weekly book blog hop hosted by Pen to Paper where we can talk about books that we can't wait to get off our wishlists and on to our bookshelves. Everyone is welcome to join. Instructions on how to join are available on Pen to Paper.

10 comments:

  1. This is one of those books that normally wouldn't grab my attention because I'm just not interested in fantasy/magic. But, wow, with all the attention it's getting it's certainly piqued my interest now. I might have to pick up a copy to see what it's all about and maybe break out of my comfort zone :)

    I love the vintage look of your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really want to read this one too and had it as my last week's wishlist!

    I've just credited your blog as helping me to find this week's wishlist read - Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children. I loved the review you wrote on it!

    Megan @ Storybook Love Affair

    www.storybookloveaffair.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love love loveeee this book! I haven't had the chance to read it yet but I definitely will. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The linky list is now up for this week, so you can add your link :)

    Love your post! I really want The Night Circus - it's on my Christmas list!!

    Dani :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks like a good book. I'll have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is one that I hopr to read soon as well!! So many great reviews!!

    My Wishlist Pick

    ♥ Melissa @ Melissa's Eclectic Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh, that does sound good, and intriguing. Can't wait to get it! Thanks for making me all 'cited.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've heard much about this book on GoodReads, and I can't wait to read it, too. Thanks for this review as an affirmation!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had this book for my Wishlist Wednesday book a couple of weeks ago, I am really excited about getting it and reading it!
    New follower here!
    Lindsay
    http://thelittlereaderlibrary.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree with you- this book looks amazing! I have read reviews and everything has been fantastic. The cover pulls me in. I can't wait to read your review!

    I found you through Book Blogs and signed up to follow you. When you have a chance- please stop by and follow the blog for my middle grade novel that I am hoping to get published. http://thesecretdmsfilesoffairdaymorrow.blogspot.com/

    Take care-
    Jess- although I may show up as Fairday, the main character from my novel. I can't figure out why that happens and I can't fix it. :)

    ReplyDelete