Wednesday, 26 October 2011

Wishlist Wednesday: Ashes

Ashes by Ilsa J. Bick
ISBN: 9780857382627
Publisher: Quercus Publishing Plc

Description from Book Depository:
Alex has run away and is hiking through the wilderness with her dead parents' ashes, about to say goodbye to the life she no longer wants to live. But then the world suddenly changes. An electromagnetic pulse sweeps through the sky zapping every electronic device and killing the vast majority of adults. For those spared, it's a question of who can be trusted and who has changed...Everyone still alive has turned - some for the better (those who acquired a superhuman sense) while others for the worse (those who acquired a taste for human flesh). Desperate to find out what happened and to avoid the zombies that are on the hunt, Alex meets up with Tom - an Army veteran who escaped one war only to find something worse at home - and Ellie, a young girl whose grandfather was killed by the electromagnetic pulse. This improvised family will have to use every ounce of courage they have just to find food, shelter, while fighting off the 'Changed' and those desperate to stay alive. A tense and involving adventure with shocks and sudden plot twists that will keep teen and adult readers gripped.


How exciting does this book sound? I saw it last week at the local bookstore. They were heavily promoting it for kids school holiday. I'm more of a fantasy reader, but it looks like I've been leaning towards paranormal as of late again. Zombies, vampires and ghosts galore! It must be the Halloween spirit. Shall I risk a Stephen King novel? Hmm, doubt it. I couldn't sleep with the lights off for nearly 2 weeks after watching "The Sixth Sense". What a wimp.

Wishlist Wednesday is a weekly book blog hop hosted by Pen to Paper where we can talk about books that we can't wait to get off our wishlists and on to our bookshelves. Everyone is welcome to join. Instructions on how to join are available on Pen to Paper.

7 comments:

  1. The Sixth Sense freaked me out too!! This book sounds great, definitely good for a halloween read!

    Megan @ Storybook Love Affair

    http://storybookloveaffair.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book sounds wicked exciting! I've not yet read anything with Zombies...but something like this might jockey to be my first!

    My Wishlist Pick

    ♥ Melissa @ Melissa's Eclectic Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  3. It would scare me! But I hope you enjoy it :)

    Lindsay

    http://thelittlereaderlibrary.blogspot.com/2011/10/wishlist-wednesday_26.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh this sounds good, I've not heard of it before. One to add to my wishlist *groan* which seems to be expanding by the day ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha - I haven't seen the Sixth Sense yet because I know it'd freak me out!
    I hope you get this book soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hopping through!

    I love post-apocalyptic books, so I've added this to my pile :) The last apocalyptic book I read was by Alex Scarrow (about a world devastated when the oil supply was stopped), and after I've read the sequel, this one's next :)

    ReplyDelete