Tuesday, 18 October 2011

Top 10 Tuesday: Awesome Book Covers or Titles

The 13 1/2 Lives of Captain Bluebear by Walter Moers
It was definitely both the title and the cover that made me buy this book. And I am so glad I purchased it! It's now one of my all-time favourite books. Walter Moers is a genius.


Mort by Terry Pratchett
I found the cover simplistic and elegant in a macabre sense. The cover caught my eye and once I read the back of it, I was hooked. Death going on a holiday and taking on an apprentice? Why not!

What the Dickens by Gregory Maguire
The cover reminded me slightly of The Wonderful Wizard of Oz. And a story about a rogue tooth-fairy seemed intriguing enough, and I did enjoy Mirror Mirror as well as Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister. This one though, I didn't enjoy as much, but still an ok read.

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Jane Austen and Seth Grahame-Smith
I thought the cover was cleverly done, and it was intriguing to see how Miss Bennett would fair against the undead.

Divine by Mistake by PC Cast
I was still following The House of Night series at the time I came across this one. The title did it for me more than the cover. The Parthenon series is enjoyable, though I felt let down by the last book in the trilogy.

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs
Title and cover both. I was pleasantly surprised when it arrived from Bookdepository. The book is beautifully printed on rich, thick paper. The photographs beautiful, the jacket very sumptuous. The picture doesn't do it any justice.

The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly
Cover and title both. And I must say, John Connolly has beautiful handwriting. I was lucky enough to meet the man and get my very own copy signed by him. Lovely fellow.

A Million Little Pieces by James Frey
The cover did it for me. You can't really see it on the picture, but the glass has slightly different colours. It wasn't usually the kind of book I'd read, but I did enjoy this memoir nevertheless, and it's now one of my favourite books. And I don't really care that some of it was apparently fictional. It was still beautifully written.

The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch
Cover. I'm a sucker for things that look sentimental and well 'wrapped'. It's a nice read, good to give as a present to help inspire others.

Toby Alone by Timothee de Fombelle
A spirited version of Thumbellina. The jacket is printed on recycled paper, and unfolds out as a map of Toby's world. Beautiful.


Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish. Each week they post a new Top Ten list that one of their bloggers will answer, and everyone is welcome to join. All they ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND add your name to the Linky widget on their post so that everyone can check out other bloggers lists!

5 comments:

  1. The Last Lecture. I've seen that in the book store and always pick it up. I think it might be too sentimental for me, but I do love the cover.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the cover for Mort and The Book of Lost Things. I would definitely buy those 2 based on the cover. I included Pride and Prejudice and Zombies on my list and I recently purchased Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children based on it's eerie cover and "peculiar" title.

    Here is my top ten book covers/titles ...
    http://butterybooks.com/?p=42963

    ReplyDelete
  3. Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children is so incredibly creepy looking. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. P.C. Cast is a good author. I like her House of Night series. Great picks. Thank you for sharing!

    My first time here. Welcoming to the book community!

    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great books! I read The Book of Lost Things- it was a very interesting read! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete